SEVEN

CHAPTER SEVEN
Birthday Girl

WAKING UP TO loud pops and bangs through the air wasn't exactly the most peaceful way to start the morning and that's exactly how Arlo woke up. She shot instantly in panic, but relaxed when she realised what was happening.

Izzy, Alma and Diego were at the foot of her bed (Diego standing on one foot) holding party poppers and wearing shiny, multicoloured and pointy hats. "Happy Birthday!" They cheered simultaneously.

Arlo smiled widely as she closed her eyes, adjusting her hair. "Thank you."

Diego plopped down on the bed besides her. "Lo, we made you breakfast! Come downstairs!"

"If you say so." Arlo mused as she picked Diego up and put him on her hip.

"Happy birthday, Lo." Izzy grinned before kissing her sister's cheek.

Arlo winked at her sister. "Thanks, Iz."

"Breakfast!" Diego growled playfully.

"Breakfast!" The two Calero sisters chorused in his lead as Arlo walked down the stairs still holding Diego.

As they walked into the kitchen, Arlo's mouth dropped at the table of breakfast they had prepared. Plates of pancakes and waffles were set out with Nutella, strawberries, bananas and blueberries on the side.

"I made a face on your pancake!" Diego exclaimed pointing at where Arlo usually sat.

"It looks great." Arlo beamed, kissing the boy's cheek before she set him down in his seat.

The three Calero siblings sat down and ate their breakfast, Alma besides them. Laughter filled the kitchen as Arlo tried to throw a blueberry into Alma's mouth who missed trying to catch it by a long shot as it hit her in eye. Diego howled in laughter while Izzy giggled by her phone, filming the whole thing.

Their moment was soon interrupted when the front door closed and Esme entered the kitchen. After trying to get their attention as Arlo chased Izzy around with the whipped cream can, threatening to ruin her hair, but failing, Esme clapped her hands.

The two Calero sisters stopped running around the island and they looked up at their mother standing in the doorway with a smile. "Hi, kids!"

Arlo's mood dropped in an instant, along with everyone else's. Even Diego who was usually happy to see either of his parents looked down at his plate. Neither her or Manuel came home to see him after his accident and it hurt. She put the can down on the counter. "Mom, you're home. Diego sprained his ankle a couple of weeks ago, but hey, better late than never."

Izzy raised her eyebrows at how quickly Arlo started firing shots. A look of hurt flashed over Esme's face before she forced a smile. "Happy birthday, darling!" She then hugged Arlo who stood there, only lifting one arm to hug her back.

The woman then pulled away and went over to her son, speaking quietly with him before she turned back to Arlo and Izzy. "Diego, Izzy, go get ready for school."

"Not even a hug, mom?" Izzy chided.

"Sorry, sweetie." Esme apologised before hugging her other daughter who then picked Diego up and walked out the kitchen.

"Thank you so much, Alma." Arlo beamed at the woman, kissing her cheek. "It was a perfect breakfast."

"Anything for you, Lo." Alma smiled, her hand on Arlo's cheek before she followed after the other siblings, leaving the girl alone with her mother.

"Lo, I know you're mad." Esme noted. "But it's your birthday. And I made reservations for you and I to have dinner. Just you and me."

Arlo quirked an eyebrow. "Did it ever occur to you that I may have other plans?"