FOUR

CHAPTER FOUR
Helpful

ARLO AND REBECA watched as Samuel tried to talk to Carla, the both of them snickering quietly. As Carla walked away with her eyes widened, evidently freaked out by Samuel's attempt, Arlo snorted, her hand flying to her mouth as Rebeca scoffed. "You really talked her around."

Samuel pressed his lips into a straight line as he scrunched his face up. Arlo offered a comforting smile. "Maybe it's for the best."

"No. I need to find a way to get close to her." Samuel argued.

"Because you're doing such a great job so far." Rebeca mocked.

Samuel rolled his eyes before he looked at Arlo. "You're going to the mass, right?"

"Yeah, of course." Arlo nodded. "So are my siblings– well actually not Diego since the incident with his ankle, Alma's watching him. So I guess it's just Izzy and I."

"Do you think it's a good idea if I go?" Samuel quizzed.

"No, it isn't." Arlo admitted. "But it wouldn't feel right if you weren't. I can give you a ride if you want."

"That'd be great. Thanks, Lo."

Arlo smiled at him before her eyes landed on Guzmán who was stood at his locker at the end of the hallway, the girl inhaled a sharp breath. "No problem. I'll catch up with you guys later." She brushed past them before they could stop her and she stopped next to Guzmán. "Hey." She greeted hesitantly.

Guzmán turned to her, fairly surprised to see she was talking to him, but he forced a small smile. "Hey."

"How are you doing?" She questioned.

"I'm alright." The boy shrugged, he then shut his locker and turned to face her, giving her his full attention. "How's Diego? Ander and Polo told me what happened."

"He's good. His ankle still hurts and everything. We have to keep it iced and e–"

"But how is he?"

Arlo sighed, realising what he meant. "He's feeling a little self conscious and scared to go back to school. But he's getting there."

"And you?" Guzmán asked. "Are you okay?"

"Why wouldn't I be?"

"Ander said you were stressed."

Arlo let out a small chuckle. "When am I not?"

Guzmán cracked a smile. "That is true."

Arlo smiled. "Yeah. Anyways, I just wanted to see if you were okay. I'll see you at the mass later."

"I'm not going, Lo."

Arlo's eyes widened as she turned back around. "What do you mean you're not going?"

"I mean I'm not going." Guzmán reiterated.

"Why not?" Arlo questioned.

"Because I don't want to."

"Guzmán, it's your sister's mass."

"Oh, really? Because there you had me thinking it was just some girl I used to know."

Arlo licked her lips. "Why are you being such an ass? More so than usual."

"I'm not going." The boy repeated. "Why is that so hard to understand?"

"Because it's your fucking sister, that's why!" Arlo hissed. "What is wrong with you? What is going on?" Her voice softened. "Look, I know you and I aren't exactly on the best of terms, but you can talk to me."