SIXTEEN

CHAPTER SIXTEEN
An Explanation

The Night of The Party...

ARLO TOOK A deep breath as her eyes flickered between the window shield and down at the amount of gas she had left. She glanced at the passenger seat to see it empty, only hoping that Samuel had managed to get away quickly unseen.

She had managed to lose her stalkers for a while, only for them to find her again. She looked down at her dash to see she really needed more gas, but stopping was going to be dangerous, so she kept driving to Guzmán's grandparents', hoping Samuel had gotten there safely.

Her phone started ringing in her lap, followed by messages. She glanced down briefly to see they were all from Ander, pleading for her to talk to him. She gulped. "Sorry, Ander. But you're not my biggest problem right now."

Arlo's grip tightened on the wheel as she kept glancing at her rear view mirror. She felt like she was in an action movie that she never wanted to be a part of in the first place. A part of her just wanted to burst into tears at the wheel, but that wouldn't help her.

She inhaled a sharp breath as she made the turn to her destination. Driving through the forest wasn't the best idea, but it was too late. She and Samuel has already been driving towards it. Now she had to stick with her choice, even if she wanted to punch herself in the face because of it.

She drove down the road, her eyes not blinking. She was scared. She was worried. And she was tired. She looked down at the dash to see she was dangerously low on gas. Sooner or later, the car would stop and whoever was following her would catch her easily. Then it would be game over. But it wasn't a game. It was real life. In games, if you died, you could try again. If she died now, that was it– no second chances.

The clogs in her brain started to turn as she racked her thoughts for a plan. "Come on. Come on." She muttered to herself harshly, panic building up inside her, her stomach twisting uncomfortably. "Think, you idiot! Think!"

Then an idea popped into her head– one so stupid Arlo had to carry it out before she could change her mind. Luckily for her she had left a few books in the glove compartment. She took them out with one hand and dropped them carefully on the gas pedal. She then undid her seatbelt and unlocked her car doors.

It was true about what they said about adrenaline. It made you react quicker. And if you asked Arlo, she said it would also make you reckless and dangerous decisions.

She opened her door and without a second thought, she dove out. She landed harshly on the floor, hitting her nose on a root of the tree. She didn't have time to focus on the pain as she shot up and began running. Glancing over her shoulder, she saw her car still going straight, but would eventually crash into the upcoming tree. The black suv still on its tail and she had to resist the urge to scoff at how stupid the people following her were.

The sound of glass breaking and a car halting to a rapid stop made her stop for a second and stupidly, Arlo glanced over her shoulder long enough to see two figures climb out of their car and towards hers which had crashed into a tree.

She started sprinting towards the direction of the house, not stopping for one second. She heard voices yelling. Two voices. Both men. Both scary. They were coming for her.

Her phone started ringing and Arlo swore under her breath before she took it out of her pocket to see the screen was cracked. It was Ander. Drops of blood fell from her nose on to the screen and instead of turning her phone off or on silent, she did the first thing that came to mind which was throw her phone as far away as she could to the side.