EIGHT

CHAPTER EIGHT
Hell

ARLO CAUGHT THE pillow heading her way with a straight face before she threw it back at Samuel. "Why are you such a child?"

"Shut up." The boy grumbled.

"You shut up." Arlo retorted.

"And I'm supposed to be the child." Izzy's voice piped up from the staircase above them.

"Shut up." Both Arlo and Samuel remarked.

"So..." the latter trailed. "Seeing Carla's father at the restaurant doing something shady."

"Yep." The girl nodded. "It was weird."

"What do you think it was about?"

"I'm not sure. But it can't be good. It's probably also very illegal." When Samuel stayed quiet, Arlo licked her lips. "Speaking of illegal, Rebe told me you started working for her mom. Why didn't you tell me?"

"Because I didn't want the lecture." Samuel grumbled into one of her couch cushions. "I need the money. That's the only reason why I'm doing it."

"Okay."

The boy paused and lifted his head, turning to face the girl. "Okay?"

Arlo raised her eyebrows and nodded. "Okay."

"Okay?"

"Samu, we're not in the Fault in Our Stars here. I said okay!"

Samuel squinted his eyes at her. "No lecture about it being dangerous or that it isn't a good idea?"

Arlo shook her head and pressed her lips together. "Nope. I can't make you do something you want to. Trust me, I know. But I still will tell you to be careful. That world doesn't bring anything in but danger."

"Is it weird that I kind of miss the lectures?"

The girl rolled her eyes and hit him with another pillow. "Shut up."

Samuel sniggered, holding his arms up to block another hit. "Alright!"

"Are you gonna tell me what's going on with you and Carla, by the way? I know you're starting to catch feelings." Arlo revealed in a high pitched voice. "That's never good."

"Samu!" A voice yelled and the two looked up to see Diego at the top of the stairs looking down at them.

"Diego!" Arlo called. "Be careful!" She turned to Samuel. "Go get him."

"Already on it." Samuel laughed as he jogged up the stairs and lifted Diego up, more than relieved that he had interrupted them before he could answer the girl's question. "Come here, big guy."

"Did you get a haircut?" Diego questioned as Samuel walked back to the couch, placing the boy down.

"Nope."

Diego then furrowed his eyebrows. "Oh. Then you should."

"Diego!" Arlo scolded, but she wasn't fooling anyone as a laugh passed her lips.

"Can we play something?" The 6-year old asked. "I'm bored."

"What do you wanna play?" Samuel questioned.

"Football?"

"You can't, Diego. Your ankle still needs time to heal." Arlo reminded. "How about we watch a movie instead?"

"Can I choose?" Diego asked, his eyes lighting up.

"As long as it's okay with Samuel."

Diego turned to the boy. "Can I choose?"