TWO

CHAPTER TWO
Waiting

ARLO FELL TO the floor with a thud and a frustrated groan. She hit the polished wood beneath her and huffed as a loud whistle cut through the air.

"Arlo, come on!" Coach Flores yelled. "Did you not practice at all last semester?"

The girl resisted the urge to roll her eyes. The beginning of the new academic year meant the start of another volleyball season at her school. Truth be told, volleyball was the only sport she was good at. She was pitiful at swimming and basketball and mediocre at soccer. She never considered going into volleyball as a future career, it was a good hobby and a good way to let her anger out and she held in a lot of anger these days.

"Come here, Lo." Her teammate and friend, Sofía, laughed as she held her hand out and pulled her to her feet.

"Thanks." Arlo chuckled.

Sofía shrugged. "Did you practice, by the way?"

"Not over the summer, no." Arlo murmured with a smile.

"It's obvious." Sofía quipped.

Arlo pressed her lips into a straight line. "Thanks, Sof."

Sofía wrapped her arms around her. "Ah, I'm glad we're playing again! It feels so good. I feel like I barely saw you last semester. I'm sorry about Marina, by the way."

"Yeah, me too." Arlo cleared her throat, then forced a small smile. "And thanks, I really appreciate it."

"Seems like you have some fans." Sofía mused as she jerked her head towards the bleachers.

Arlo followed her gaze to see Rafael and Miguel sitting on the bleachers beaming at her as the former waved enthusiastically.

"Oh dear god." Arlo mumbled as practise ended and she ran up to the two with a chuckle. "What are you guys doing here?"

"You missed a great night at the club yesterday." Miguel informed. "The new girl is hot."

"Rebe?" Arlo affirmed.

Miguel pointed just finger at her and clicked. "Yep. That's the one."

"It was a pretty fun night." Rafael supported. "Even Nadia was there."

"Sorry. I was with–"

"Izzy and Diego." The two boys imitated simultaneously.

Arlo rolled her eyes. "Funny."

Miguel leaned forward, rubbing his hands together. "May I say how hot you look in your volleyball uniform?"

Arlo's face scrunched up. "Uh, you may not. I've gotta change."

"Aren't you excited we're in your class this year?" Miguel wondered.

"Ecstatic." Arlo mused.

"Maybe this year, I can actually ask you out on a date. I mean, since you and Guzmán are no longer a thing." The boy said genuinely, no tone or sense of cockiness and smugness.

Noticing the slight hesitance in Arlo's face, Rafael clamped a hand down on Miguel's shoulder. "C'mon, lets get to class."

Arlo had never been more glad to hear her coach yelling at her or more motivated to follow her instructions in her life as she jogged back to the court.

ARLO NUDGED ANDER as his mother entered the classroom in attempt to get him to act as if he was concentrating. The principal walked over to the maths teacher and the two spoke in hushed whispers. Arlo then turned over her shoulder and looked at Samuel who then locked eyes with Carla who glanced back at the seat Christian sat in which had been empty all day.