FIVE: EXCUSES

Ethan was quiet, staring out the car window while Aphrodite drove. Daddy Issues by The Neighbourhood was playing, but neither of them were listening closely to the song. Her window was down despite the chilly air, her hair being blown around and cooling both of their skin.

Though she was driving, admittedly, she wasn't the most focused. Instead, she was glancing at Ethan every few seconds.

It was nice, spending time with him so casually where he wasn't nervous. He was still quiet, but much more comfortable than previous times they'd hung out--even compared to them just studying--he was slowly opening up. He still didn't talk much, but they'd get there.

She wondered what he might be thinking. There was so much happening behind his eyes, so much he never revealed that she was curious about.

Even if he wasn't yet ready to divulge all of his secrets and thoughts, she was patient enough to wait. Ethan was genuinely interesting and fun to hangout with. It didn't make any sense to her why so many people at school were assholes to him. He wasn't as outgoing as Grayson, so what? They were different people, but both of them were cool.

He looks over to her with a smile when he catches her looking, his cheeks flushing. "Shouldn't you be... looking at the road?"

"I am! I was just looking over for a second! You look nice with the sun setting," Aphrodite grins, pulling into the grocery store parking lot. Ethan shakes his head and looks off in the other direction. "And I was thinking a little. But hey, we're here alive."

"Reassuring," he snorts quietly, hoping she doesn't catch the sarcasm. She does, but she's not offended, she's happy to hear it. "Hey, do you think--should you warn your parents about Hades before they get home?"

Aphrodite sighs, biting her tongue and climbing out of the car. Ethan scrambles out after her, not realizing he struck a nerve.

This was the major thing she didn't want to have to talk about when letting him in. Most people asked about her parents after spending some time at her house without them showing up even once. It was hard to hide no one coming home from work late into the evening.

"It'll be fine," is all she says as they walk into the store. "Colder than I thought it was out."

"Oh, here--you can--do you want my hoodie?"

"You don't have to, E."

"N-no, no, it's okay," he insists and moves to tug it off. "I'm not cold anyway. All yours, Aph. Oh! I-I can push the cart, I got it."

She laughs, stepping aside to let him push it. They end up with her sitting in the cart, reading off the list with Ethan maneuvering them around the store. Loud laughter comes from both of them as he almost misses a tight corner, pushing a little too fast.

Some older people give them dirty looks, and from there Ethan moves more carefully while tapping his fingers along the handlebar, helping her grab things from shelves without making a commotion. Aphrodite didn't care when other people looked at them, but she didn't want to make Ethan uncomfortable so she toned it down.

"Oh my god. Turn around."

"But... that's the pasta aisle--"

"And that's a guy I hooked up with who I don't wanna see," she mumbles, motioning behind her. Ethan's eyes widen, nodding and turning the cart around just a little too late. The man yells for her, his footsteps quickly approaching. "...hey, Trevor."

Trevor grins, stroking his beard as he looks at her. She's still sat in the cart, Ethan standing awkwardly holding it, but it's as if Trevor doesn't see him. "You never called."