NINETEEN: COMEUPPANCE

Come Thursday, everything is almost too peaceful.

Aphrodite woke up to her period, which was definitely a good sign even if it wasn't fun. Plan B didn't make her as sick as it did last time--she was nauseous and had bad cramps on Saturday, into Sunday morning, but they faded by late afternoon. Ethan kept his promise and took care of her the entire time, including spending Saturday night at her house and helping her cook dinner for Hades, though that did require sneaking out. His parents loved Aphrodite, but still didn't like the idea of their son spending the night at his girlfriends house... especially after he told them how often she was home alone.

Knowing she isn't pregnant is weight off of her shoulders, and Ethan's as soon as she texts him. She's even up early, going to pickup fresh muffins for her and Hades and giving him a ride to school.

Ethan meets her in the back of the parking lot later in the morning, showing up to her there before him which was unexpected. He knocks on her passenger window, seeing her on her phone (in the middle of texting Grayson).

"Baby!" Aphrodite grins, unlocking her doors to let him in. They have about 15 minutes before class still. "Good morning! I grabbed you a muffin when I was out."

Ethan accepts the blueberry muffin and a kiss from her, humming out, "Thank you, sweetheart." She sips on her coffee, leaning further back in her seat and watching him. "You... you're in a good mood."

"Yes, I am," she laughs and reaches for his hand to play with his fingers. As he takes a bite of his muffin, she presses her lips to the pads of each one. "I don't know. Things have been really good lately. With you, with Grayson, with Hades. I'm passing all my classes, I'm not pregnant. Just... things are good. I'm happy."

"I'm happy too," Ethan whispers, rubbing his thumb along her knuckles. Everything has felt peaceful as of late, like they could handle anything. They were up in their own bubble of the world and it felt like nothing could pop it. Something always will.

Leaning over the console to kiss his cheek, Ethan turns his head to steal a real kiss. Aphrodite laughs, pulling him closer again for more--his muffin? Forgotten.

They only come up for air at the sound of the warning bell in the distance, eyes widening when they realize they're going to be late for class if they don't leave right then. Giggling, they grab their bags and speed-walk toward the doors.

"I promised I'd have lunch with Gray, Carla, and Joey today--you can come if you want! I always love seeing you. If not, I don't have to work tonight, so we can hangout then?" Aphrodite shouts, halfway down the hall away from him. Ethan gives her a thumbs up and a smile and rushes toward his locker. Colton trips him, but Aphrodite is gone.

"Can't believe she took you back," he snorts. Ethan groans and rubs his elbow, his dark brows falling over his eyes. "You don't deserve her."

"C-can you just--just fuck off, Colton!"

Colton is too shocked by Ethan yelling to say anything else before he's gone, only watching him leave with wide-eyes. It's about time Ethan stands up for himself.

He feels really good about it too, taking his usual seat in class with a smile. His elbow hurts a little bit... but he can deal with that. Ethan's mostly thinking about the way Aphrodite would smile and hug him when he tells her.

And she does exactly that in the parking lot in the afternoon--because he did not go to lunch--and she immediately wraps her arms around him and kisses his face all over. It makes Ethan's heart swell and confidence surge.

"I'm proud of you," she gushes, kissing his blushing face more. "You're so cute. I love you."

"Sweetheart, stop," Ethan whines, putting his hands on both sides of her face to pull back. "I love you too. But you--you're getting your lipstick all over me."