THIRTEEN: FIGHT

Aphrodite sits in the back of chemistry class, playing with Ethan's free hand as his other jots down notes. Of course, she isn't taking many herself, but that isn't unusual. After a few more minutes of lecturing, they're all given study guides for the upcoming test and left to their own devices.

"C-can I have my hand back, Aph?" Ethan asks with a chuckle, knocking her out of her daze. She was zoned out, mind on other things.

"Nope," she hums, linking their fingers together. "Can't wait to get out of here."

"Something wrong?" He frowns, turning to look at her and ignoring the work they're supposed to be doing. They had plenty of time to get it done before the test. Aphrodite shrugs, shaking her head. "Is it... did you run into your friends today?"

"Briefly. We didn't talk though. Gray tried to grab me, but I slipped into the girls bathroom before he could. But that's not it, I'm just bored, baby."

After what happened at the bridge last week, Aphrodite was taking some time away from all of them. She needed a break to reevaluate if they were really her friends or just smoke-buddies. That, and she was still pretty mad about how they acted that day.

Of course, they weren't really liking that decision. They've all reached out to her through text several times, and she wasn't even reading their texts anymore. They also tried speaking to her in person, but Aphrodite was exceptionally good at evading people she didn't want to speak to.

She did, however, have a short conversation with Joey. He was stupid, but she wasn't really upset with him. Aphrodite told him that she'd talk to them all soon, but that she needed some time to cool off, and he said he'd tell everyone. So they all backed off--except Grayson. Her and Ethan have been hanging out away from his house if there was a chance Grayson might be home, just for some space.

Ethan liked being at Aphrodite's house.

Hanging out with her, getting to know her brother, finding out new things about her... it was comforting. He also appreciated that she trusted him enough to let him in on her life--her mom, her childhood, everything. And she liked being able to tell someone.

They also went out and exploring where they knew they wouldn't be bothered by anyone. The local theatre, the aquarium a few towns over, abandoned buildings (which Aphrodite had to assure him they wouldn't get caught when they snuck in), small diners--just spending time together. Ethan even snuck out a few late-nights just to hangout with her. He was having a lot of new experiences, and they were both having fun.

"Day's almost over," Ethan smiles. They only had one class left after this. "Do you have to work tonight?"

"Nope, I'm all yours. You're coming over, right?" She asks, seeing him give a small nod. Leaning in to steal a quick kiss, her phone begins to buzz in her pocket. "Ugh. One sec--hello?"

"Aphrodite Flowers? I'm calling about your brother, Hades."

"Uh, that's me. Everything okay?"

"We actually need you to come pick him up. There was a fight during lunch today and he was involved. We'll have more details for you when you arrive."

"I'll be there right away," she sighs, hanging up the phone. "...fuck. I gotta go, E. Hades."

"Do you... do you want me to come with?" Ethan whispers, gnawing on his bottom lip. Aphrodite's eyes dart around the room, the teacher facing the opposite direction. Mr. Magnus probably wouldn't notice them leaving. "Y-you just look upset. And I just--I wanna help if I can?"

She gives a slow nod, putting her papers away. "You sure you wanna skip?"

Ethan agrees instantly, though he's not really a fan of the idea. He's supposed to have a lab next class, but he'll miss it. Making sure Aphrodite is okay is more important.