TWENTY: AMENDS

"Is Aphrodite here?"

Dustin stands on the other side of the door, teetering on his feet with his hands tucked deep in his pockets. His hair has grown longer since she last saw him, and it's now tied back in a man-bun. There's a full beard on his face, one that could use a trim, but nothing else seems to have changed.

He swings one of his feet to kick a pebble, his scuffed sneakers creating a small cloud of dust from the dirt he disrupts. Grayson blocks most of the doorway, looking him up and down with a deep sigh.

"You can't just show up here, man. C'mon. I told you Aphrodite didn't wanna see you."

"I know, but you're not her. I just wanna talk to her, dude," Dustin sighs and rubs a hand over his face. He catches sight of Aphrodite standing behind Grayson, despite her trying to stay out of view. "Are you her boyfriend now? You guys were always close."

"No. I am," Ethan grunts, moving in front of her. "Just--just go, man."

"You must be the twin. I'm Dustin," he offers a hand that Ethan doesn't take. "Yeah. Obviously you guys aren't fans of me."

"Why would we be?" Grayson scoffs, and Aphrodite begins to rolls her eyes. She's surrounded by too much testosterone. "Seriously. Get out of here."

"I'll make it quick! I just have to say a few things." None of them really want him to say anything else, and the fact that he showed up at her house is already scary enough. "If Aphrodite doesn't want to talk to me, let her tell me herself. I know she's right--"

"She--Aphrodite doesn't have to do anything," Ethan spits. Again, he's not much of a fighter, and usually isn't driven by anger, but he can't stop himself from shoving Dustin back when he tries to take a step forward. It makes Aphrodite let out a small laugh, seeing him stumble backward. "Leave, Dustin."

"Fuck, fine. Sorry. Aphie, I still have the same number--I swear, I just wanna talk."

It's a feeling of calm that fills her when he turns away, Grayson slamming the door shut behind him. It feels like closing the chapter on a period of her life she would rather tear out.

Ethan kisses her cheek, and her chin, and then her lips and mumbles something she doesn't hear. Dustin was insistent today, and he always had been, but he also didn't fight back. Maybe she wasn't quite ready to close that chapter. Maybe there was a way she could cut it out completely.

"Aph, what are you--"

"Wait!" Aphrodite shouts, shoving through the twins and out her front door. They both reach for one of her hands and miss. She's not yet sure if she's regretting it as she walks up to Dustin, her arms crossing and eyes narrowing. Looking at his face filled her veins with ice, but she needs to hear what he had to say. "You have two minutes."

It wasn't her best idea, but she's always been stubborn. If she didn't hear him out now, as angry as just looking at him made her, she'd never stop thinking about it--and Aphrodite didn't want to think about Dustin ever again after this. If she had the chance, she needed to take it.

He looks at her with apprehensive eyes, rubbing the back of his neck. Ethan and Grayson stand protectively two feet behind, which is intimidating to Dustin, but Aphrodite just finds it hilarious when she glances back at them.

"I just wanted to say I'm sorry," Dustin swallows slowly, digging into one of his pockets. He pulls out a small chip and places it in her hand. "I know now I was never a good boyfriend to you. I probably shouldn't have been your boyfriend anyway, if I'm being honest. I was too old for you and you were too good for me. I know I did--and said--some fucked up things, and I'm sorry. I should never have hit you."