SEVENTEEN: DETENTION

15 minutes late, with a coffee in hand, Aphrodite strolls into the library for detention. The monitor sighs, collecting her phone in the basket. "You have to stay 15 minutes after."

"Not my first time. I'll live."

Her eyes linger on Ethan, sat with headphones in at one of the tables in the back. She didn't think he'd get more than a warning, so seeing him is a surprise.

His hair is flat against his forehead, his hoodie--Aphrodite's favorite--has the sleeves pulled over his hands, and a deep pout is etched on his lips. Upon noticing Aphrodite, Ethan swallows slowly and turns his attention to his laptop to work on an essay. He kind of hopes she might sit with him, but she snags an empty corner table instead. It's for the best.

The sounds of keyboard clicks, flipping pages, and pencil scribbling fill the library. For the other students in there, it's just another shitty detention. For Aphrodite and Ethan, it's a tense and uncomfortable hell.

Even just sitting in the same room, the tension is palpable. Stolen glances, subtle gestures, mere seconds of eye contact--it's painful.

Aphrodite does some other work for classes, leaving chemistry for last. She missed everything they learned last class, and from the several classes she's skipped, so suffice to say she's lost when she starts.

Huffs leave her mouth, slamming her textbook shut. Aphrodite could barely focus before with Ethan ten feet away, she's definitely not able to focus on trying to teach herself something.

Taking notice of her frustration, Ethan ignores the pit in his stomach and moves tables to sit with her. "H-hey, Aph."

"Go away before I punch you in the throat. I'm hungover, tired as hell, and sick of seeing you."

"...I just wanna help," he insists, voice low. He's more nervous now than he was before they became close. "I-I have my chem notes--just let me--I'll leave you alone after, you don't have to talk to me... I can ju-just explain it and leave."

Pursing her lips, Aphrodite gives a sharp nod. She still needs to pass chemistry, so she can endure the sound of Ethan's voice whispering for a few minutes. The detention monitor is in the break room getting coffee, and probably will be for a while. For that reason, Ethan doesn't hurry--that, and spending more time with Aphrodite.

Even when she's mad at him he can't help but admire her. Eyes dark and accentuated with an intense gaze, head resting on her hand, the way she tucks her hair behind her ears and taps her fingers on the table... it's killing him. Ethan thinks Aphrodite has to be even more beautiful than her namesake, and even more cruel just for existing in this capacity. Of course, he shakes that second thought away--he knows it's his fault alone that she's upset with him.

The second Aphrodite feels she understands enough, she pushes Ethan away. Being near him hurts, being away from him hurts--everything hurts. It's easier when she can stop thinking about him.

Ethan spares one last glance at her at the end of detention, knowing she has 15 more minutes. She doesn't look back at him.

The 15 minutes alone are perhaps more boring than the two and a half hours beforehand, but Aphrodite survives. Snatching her phone, she leaves detention and immediately drives toward Grayson's house. They had plans to hangout, probably smoke and go for a drive, then grab lunch.

When she gets there, his room is empty and car gone. Aphrodite groans, texting him.

Aphrodite: where tf are you
Aphrodite: im in your room and you're not here.
Grayson: sounds inappropriate
Aphrodite: shut up and tell me :(
Grayson: ran out to grab some stuff as soon as E got back with the car. be back soon
Aphrodite: ughhhhhhhhhhhhh