Getting Ready

Small fyi, I just changed the main character's first name. It was Tessa, but I changed it to Gale because I learned about another fanfiction about Harry that became really successful. I swear didn't know that the main character's first name was Tessa in that one too. It was a kind of funny coincidence, but I didn't want to seem like I was copying whoever wrote it, so I changed the name of my character. If you see Tessa in any of the previous chapters, please let me know so I can change it. Thanks!

Hailey knocks on the bathroom door as she giggles hysterically. What has she done? I finish buttoning my jeans and open the door for her.

She flounces in and gives me a twirl. "You like?" She smooths the dress down with careful fingertips. I laugh so hard that I have to grab the sink's counter for support so I don't fall down. She laughs along with me and swishes the folds playfully. Hailey has managed to turn herself into a gorgeous piece of watermelon. Her hair hasn't been done yet and she isn't even wearing makeup, but she already looks beautiful in the red dress. There's a black band around the stomach part and a couple stripes in varying shades of green along the bottom. It's a spaghetti strap dress, and there are little black watermelon seeds all over it. I see black heels with little watermelon slices on the toes on the floor behind her.

"I love!" She twirls again, and I move over so she can see herself in the mirror. "Wait, why is that actually so pretty? You look gorgeous!" She looks in the mirror and adjusts the straps around her shoulders while I stand behind her and pull her hair away from her face. "So, what are we doing with this beautiful blond hair?"

She lights up and retrieves a curling iron and brush from the counter drawer. "Double dutch braid space buns."

"Double du-what?" I have no idea what she just said

"Double du-what?" I have no idea what she just said. I'm pretty sure "braid" is the American word for a plait, so I know that Dutch plaits are involved.

Hailey laughs and explains, "I'm going to do two Dutch braids, stop them at the crown of my head, and turn them into space buns for a half up, half down look. It'll be super cute and definitely stand out. I also think I'm going to wrap glowsticks around the buns when we get there to add another element of interest. What are you doing with your hair?"

She hasn't commented on my outfit, so I don't think she's noticed yet. I'm wearing slightly ripped jeans and a periwinkle tunic style top. I just have socks on now, but I have black high top Converse trainers in my bag that I plan on wearing. It's definitely not as pretty or elegant as Hailey's outfit, but I just don't wear dresses. I can't even remember the last time I wore a dress, but I must have been very young and someone put it on me. It's just not me. Dresses are uncomfortable, and they make me self conscious, so I avoid them at all costs. I don't know what I'm going to do with my hair though.

"I don't know, I haven't given it much thought," I admit. "What do you think?"

"Well, what are you wearing?" Hailey turns to me while brushing her hair and finally looks at my outfit. "That's a really cute outfit, but...it's not nearly wild enough for us to get noticed tonight."