The Concert (Part 2)

It really did look like a night sky. The only lights on stage are a couple spotlights on the band and the brightest on Harry, so most of the theater was pitch black. The phone lights were almost in a perfect grid pattern due to the seating and unanimous participation. Well, nearly unanimous. One person, a beautiful redheaded woman sitting in the front row is the only person without a light in front of her face.

Various fans and attendees wave their lights about in the air, trying to gain attention, but they only succeed in obscuring their faces and any sort of distinction. From the stage, the only person's face visible is the redhead with blue glowsticks in her hair that form a halo. The crowd is only a dark mass behind bright specs of light, except for the girl. She's an aberration, and an angelic one at that. The gentle glow from the halo of blue glowsticks illuminates her face with a cherubic light. The black makeup around her eyes and dark lipstick paired with smooth, alabaster skin would make any heart skip a beat, but it wasn't just the way she looked that intrigued the singer. It was the fact that she didn't have a light, in fact, he hadn't seen her phone make an appearance thusfar during the performance. She just watched him with a little smile on her face. It wasn't like girls never smiled at him, in fact, that's all girls seemed to do around him. They looked at him with knowing, excited, and sometimes seductive smiles, but the halo-girl smiled with a calm, innocent expression and no hint of familiarity anywhere.

>< >< >< >< ><

Smiles finishes the song with a couple tears in his eyes magnified by the big screens above the stage to the right and left. It was an emotional song, I understand his reaction and appreciate the vulnerability. A quick glance around, and I see almost all the fans in tears as well. Only they can't blink the tears away when the song ends like Smiles, they're still crying as he takes his microphone out of the stand and begins walking towards me and Hailey. Oh, great. She's drawn his attention again somehow. I roll my eyes and see Hailey's mascara running down her cheeks inelegantly. The painted watermelon slices on her cheekbones have been smeared to red and green streaks. When she sees Smiles nearing us, she panics, hastily wipes her face, straightens the folds of her dress, brushes the strands of hair framing her face back, and stands at attention with eyes turned confidently on the singer.

As it turns out, he doesn't mean to make a remark to Hailey. He only pauses for a moment in front of us, his gaze lingering on me a second longer than it should have, before moving on, all the way to stage right. Smiles holds out an arm, hand palm down, gesturing to the crowds.

"How many of you are from here in New York City?" Hailey positively shrieks directly beside my ear, causing me to wince. A loud cry rises up in response, and Smiles starts walking back across the stage slowly, his arm still out to the audience. "Most of you? Most of you, ok. Lovely, lovely people in New York." His words are met with even louder screams making him smile and dimple endearingly. "How many of you are from New York in general?" Another bout of shouts from people feeling prideful in their state. "Ok, ok. How many of you are from out of state?" He's reached the other side of the stage now, listening for the response with a cheeky grin on his face as if he loves seeing the audience get all excited like that. Many people scream the answer to his question, a large group in particular right in front of him, and he points to them. "You guys, where are you from?" He holds a hand up to his ear more to signify him listening rather than to enhance the volume. He watches their lips intently, watching as well as hearing the word they formed.

"Why didn't you yell?" Hailey asks from beside me. "You're not from New York."

I simply shrug in response, not taking the time to explain why I don't particularly feel like losing my voice tonight. This man doesn't seem like the one Hailey described to me. I know I've only seen about forty minutes of him, but from the way Hailey talked about his looks, I'd thought for sure he was arrogant and impossible. Instead he seems like a sweet and genuine, if a little awkward, guy.