The Concert (Part 3)

Music for the next song starts and it's got a good groove to it. Hailey called it Canyon Moon and sang all the lyrics along just like she did in the other songs. The lights were going crazy during that song, strobing and changing color like at a disco. Hailey had thrown the juggling balls at Smiles's feet and he picked them up, much to her delight, and juggled a bit during a brief pause in the lyrics. Everyone went crazy when he did this and the people behind us thanked Hailey for bringing them because it was "iconic." Even though I don't understand the foundation or mindset of it, the sense of camaraderie is strong here and I like it.

People were dancing in their seats and kept trying to get noticed. Hailey hasn't put down her phone since she picked it up after the first song and is starting to panic about the battery.

"It was full when we left! It's on thirty-four now! What if it runs out? What will I do?" She's near tears and I pat her shoulder, trying to comfort her.

I'm not used to a Hailey quite this emotional. She's had her moments, as we all do, and she's entitled to that emotion. Hell, I've talked her through several emotional breakdowns before, but I've never seen her quite this bad. I mean, getting this upset over her phone battery? I'm not judging her, but it strikes me how dedicated she is to this man. I look around and the world seems to freeze momentarily around me, the sounds dulling as well while I look at everyone.

Smiles is on stage, mid-lyric, beaming down at one woman in the audience who seems to be sporting a baby bump. His bandmates are playing their instruments while wearing expressions of adoration for Smiles. It's strange, but I can almost feel their respect for him radiating off the stage, and I can tell it's a mutual feeling.

I turn a bit and see some girls and boys in tears, others with faces of absolute joy. They're all quite emotional, so it isn't just Hailey. This one man brings them so much joy, they seem unable to contain it. And it isn't just the music. I had thought concerts were for people to hear music performed live, but I get the feeling the people are more here to see the artist perform live. Every little thing he does is noticed and applauded. It's a wonder he doesn't come across as more arrogant than he does, he would certainly have a right, people love him. Fans are simply overcome at getting to experience this concert tonight. So what am I missing?

Knowledge. I don't know anything about this man or his music. Of course I'm having fun, but I wouldn't call myself ecstatic to be here. Then again, there isn't really anything I can imagine myself being ecstatic about. As I've said before, my life has become so boring, I don't even know what excites me anymore.

I turn my eyes back to the stage as time and sound return to normal just in time to hear the conclusion of the song "Treat People With Kindness." It had a nice message to it and really good vocals, although it was slightly out of place style-wise amongst the other songs.

Hailey whoops and claps wildly beside me, I grin at her and clap too. Smiles takes a few deep breaths and steps away from the mic for a minute to get a drink and dab at his forehead a bit. He spots a rainbow cloth on the ground a little ways down the stage and goes to retrieve it before wrapping the pride flag around his shoulders and making his way back to the mic stand. I smile at his support. Hailey had told me he doesn't like to define himself, but that he's only been with girls openly.

He instructs the audience to scream as loud as they can when he's directly in front of them and then proceeds to run from stage right to stage left and back again, trailing the flag behind him like a cape. This causes a ripple effect of thunderous, piercing screaming that makes me clap my hands over my ears.

"Aren't you loving this?!" Hailey asks with a goofy grin and wide eyes. She aims her camera at me for a split second before whipping it back around to Smiles on stage and screaming as he passes our section.