04

***

christmas day was turning out to be a very busy day for kaycee and her family. rest of her extended family members had to arrive, by the noon time.

rice family was a large family. many of them lived outside the country, so it was not possible for them to attend the dinner party every year.

but those who lived near the place attended the party every year. so majority of the noon and early part of the evening was spent with welcoming the guests and exchanging the gifts with them.

kaycee's mom was laura katsch, prior to her marriage. so in christmas dinner party, every year, both rice and katsch families always joined together as one, to celebrate.

but it was called as rices' gathering as tices were always more than the katsch, in the party.

kaycee had lots of aunts and uncles, from her dad and mom side's families. she also had many cousins. but her favorite person was her granny (her mom's mom).

she adored her grandmother a lot. and kaycee too, was the most favorite grandchild of her grandmother.

her grandparents from her dad's side were not going to attend the dinner party, since they were on a vacation, in the caribbean.

kaycee had gotten a necklace from her granny and grandpa (her mom's father), as a christmas gift.

even kaycee, who didn't have much idea about the jewelry, could see that it was a beautiful piece of work.

her grandpa had gifted the necklace to her granny, on her first birthday after their marriage.

kaycee was speechless when she saw the necklace. she didn't have the words, important enough, to thank her granny for giving her something so beautiful, so personal.

"oh granny, it's so beautiful." kaycee managed to whisper, looking at the necklace in awe.

"of course it is dear. your grandpa gifted this to me, on my first birtday after our marriage." she said lovingly,
remembering the day her husband surprised her with the gift.

she told kaycee, the story behind the necklace and how kaycee's grandpa had surprised her.

later kaycee's grandparents had left the house, as they had to catch the flight for their fifth honeymoon.

kaycee's family had a history or more like an unintentional tradition of love marriages. almost, all the marriages in rices and katschs' family were love marriages, including brad and laura. but to kaycee, it looked like she was going to break the tradition.

***

finally around 6 in the evening, whole family were gathered in backyard of the house. all the arrangements for the party were setup there, as house was not big enough for so many people.

tables were setup all around the backyard. foods and drinks were kept on the different tables, as it was a self service party. fires were all set up all around, so as to keep warm.

a small area in the backyard was adorned with additional bright lights for dancing and a disco jockey was hired to play the music. everyone was enjoying the party, having lots of fun with talking, drinking, dancing and eating.

around 6:30 pm, kaycee and laura were in the kitchen. kaycee was helping her mom in bringing some food articles to the backyard, when the doorbell rang.

"kaycee, take these 2 dishes of éclairs and biscuits to the backyard, i'll bring the rest. now i should go and open the door. it must be the lews." laura said hurriedly, making her way to open the door.