3

The weeks after the battle were a blur, mostly. Spensa was still in the hospital in a coma, there were no signs of her waking up anytime soon. Jorgen spent most days by Spensa, holding her hand, talking to her, even though he knew she probably couldn't hear him. The medics had hooked her up to all sorts of machines to help her breathe and make sure she was stable. they stitched up her wounds and bandaged them up. The girl that had once looked strong, brave, and even indestructible, now looked helpless and hanging on by a thread.

"Jorgen? Hey, can you hear me?" Kimmalyn asked.

"What?" Jorgen asked.

"Did you hear what I said?"

"Well considering I just asked what, that probably means no"

"Well then, are you ready, we're going to recover the ships and see what parts we can salvage"

"Yeah, let me just get my backpack."

Jorgen grabbed his backpack from under the chair he was sitting in next to Spensa's bed and followed Kimmalyn to the flight deck.

"You're distracted, what is it?" Kimmalyn asked Jorgen

"I think you know." Was his response.

"You miss her, don't you?"

"Yes"

"Are you going back after we do this"

"yes."

The rest of the walk to the flight deck was in silence. That is until they actually got there. There they found Cob and Arturo arguing about something. 'Most likely something stupid' Jorgen thought to himself.

"Jorgen, tell Cob I go with you guys to salvage the ships. Tell him I can help." Arturo said

"Arturo a) it's not my problem b) I'm not in charge and c) your parents don't want you flying anyway," Jorgen said and continued on to his ship.

"But you are in charge, you're flight leader. And FYI my parents don't want me fighting, that doesn't mean I can't ever fly or help you guys when there's not a fight" Arturo called back to him. Jorgen sighed and turned around to face Arturo who was now walking toward him.

"Fine, you can come as long as Cob agrees, I don't care." Jorgen turned back to his ship, grabbed his helmet, and climbed up into the cockpit. Arturo stopped dead and smiled at him and raced to his ship grabbed his helmet and climbed into his cockpit.