5

Over the next few days, Spensa was getting worse, no one told them but they knew. Spensa was dying, her breaths getting shorter, her skin getting paler, her pulse getting weaker. Jorgen knew that this might be the last time he'd ever get to see her alive.

Everyone went into the room one at a time to say goodbye to her. Jorgen was last.

He walked into the room. He went up to her bed and knelt by her. He took a deep breath trying to hold back tears before saying "Spens, I'm so sorry. This is all my fault, I should've gone with you or done something. I should've been here when you got back, I could've helped you, and maybe go back with you. I'm so sorry this happened. You don't deserve this, you deserve to live. I love you" He took a breath and studied Spensa, more tears came. It was too much for him to handle.

Jorgen leaned down and brushed his lips against hers, all of a sudden she started breathing very heavily. She was waking up.

"Cob, Kimmalyn, Nedd, Arturo!" He called and they rushed into the room.

"What's going on is she okay," Kimmalyn asked panicking.

"No, I think she might be waking up," Jorgen said kneeling next to her

"I'll go get the doctor," Arturo said rushing back out.

Spensa moaned loudly. She shifted under the sheets, rolled over and threw up next to Nedd. After her episode, she settled back down in bed. "Spensa?"

 Jorgen asked. her eyes began to flutter open. slowly, but surely. Her head and eyes shifted toward Jorgen. "Spensa," Jorgen whispered relieved that she was okay.

"I'm back," she whispered, her voice hoarse and rough. Jorgen, forgetting that everyone was there and watching took her head in his hands and kissed her. "Easy there." Spensa said laughing a little, "How long have I been out?" Jorgen sighed knowing Spensa wasn't going to like the news. He could see in her eyes that she was hoping she hadn't been gone too long, she didn't want to be useless.

"A week or so, you were pretty beat up, you still are," Jorgen said still holding her. Just as he finished talking two doctors came into the room with Arturo, the doctors ushered them all out while they ran some tests and replaced the bandages over the stitches on her stomach. Spensa had a while still before she would be able to fly again. The door opened to Spensa's room and the doctors came out one kept walking and one stayed behind. "She's asleep. She's quite alright. Don't worry too much. She'll be awake in the morning, you can talk to her then," the doctor said, "we'll have a nurse with her through the night."

they all let out a breath of relief. "Thank you," Kimmalyn said and she and the rest of them headed back up to their rooms, except Jorgen. "May I please see her before I go up?" Jorgen asked the doctor. "I suppose it couldn't hurt," with that the doctor turned around and walked back the other direction. Jorgen quietly walked in Spensa's room kneeling beside sitting down beside her. This sleep looked different than the past week. Now she looked peaceful instead of pale and sick. Soon Jorgen walked back to his room, and for the first time in the weeks since Spensa had first left to Starsight, he slept peacefully.