Chapter 37: This is Who We Are

****Harry's POV****

To an outsider's perspective, the scene that took place was near impossible to describe. Even he had a hard time seeing the events through the clouds that were thicker than the swathes of darkness bordering the entrances to Edom and all the other hell dimensions. The wild breeze froze in time, as if it too was in awe of the sight playing out like a portrait of a bygone era.

When he was younger, Harry recalled his Father demonstrating what some of his power looked like. It was important for each of the winged nephilim to figure out what gift they'd inherited from their archangel father. Years had been spent in the effort to learn control. And even then I'm not sure it was enough. The Heavenly Fire hummed inside his chest. It would've killed a normal person, scorching light scathing away at any soul until it was burnt to a crisp. But Harry was different. The flame in his heart burned but it did not faze him. The tongues of it curled tight around his heart, giving it a squeeze as if to remind him it was there, remind him of the fight. He ignored it. The fighting had came to a standstill in the advent of this face off; a face off between two people who were never meant to be on separate sides.

The Ties that Bind, like the Heavenly Fire, was a force to be reckoned with. Harry hardly knew what the power could do at full capacity, but judging by what was going on right now he may be about to get a glimpse of it.

So I need to get down to the others. Clear the air.

Not taking his eyes off the bursts of color threading the darkness, he called out. "Alec! Get down!"

Alec, who turned out to be a short distance from him, spun to face him in confusion. "What are you talking about? The battle isn't over yet." His hands were fists of brilliant light. They waved like torches in front of him, warding off the fallen angels who at this point acted more like the monsters they became than the angels they once were.

"Daniel's preparing for the end, we have to let him handle things from here on."

Harry stressed the words, hoping Alec would catch on to the cryptic meaning. The reincarnated angel went pale, understanding flashing on his face like the flutter of a wing beat. Alec's wings still shone beautifully, reflecting the danger of the storm. They gave off a purply hue currently, the rainbow prism of colors residing in the primary feathers. Blood was smeared over several of them and he was pretty sure he could hear a faint sizzling as the ichor evaporated from the once pristine feathers, leaving them completely unharmed yet mussed.

Magnus is gonna have a fit if he gets the loft dirty again with all the shedding. To be fair, he doubted Alec would really have to worry about such a thing considering how tired they would all be after this fight finally concluded. His muscles sang with the pain of exhaustion. No matter how much training there was only so long anyone could hold out.

"Is there really nothing we can do to help? I don't like the idea of leaving him alone." Alec admitted.

Harry sighed. "If you were at full power I'd say go for it, but as you are now, and considering who Daniel's opponent is . . . you wouldn't be able to hurt Sara, would you?" He asked tentatively. It was a strange thing to ask. Before, he would've never even thought to voice such a question. But that was then and this is now. Things are different.

But apparently, the more things became different the more they remained the same. Alec's answer didn't require any thought, slipping out of his mouth with an ease Harry wished he had when it came to difficult topics.

"Sara might be evil but I could never hurt her. She's my daughter."

"Oh, thank God. I was hoping you'd say that."