Chapter 33: Impending Doom

***Sara's POV***

Things were falling perfectly into place. Everything was going according to plan. The birds twittered overhead as she watched the sun setting. The Seelie Queen was back on her throne once more, the scandalous replacement brutally murdered. Blood ran in heavy puddles on the ground. No matter how much the earth was cleansed, the stench still remained. Sara hardly cared for the smell. Back in Thule the smell of death clung to virtually everything along with the ghastly tang of ichor that made eyes burn and children cry.

"So, I assume you are pleased?"

The Seelie Queen smiled. The sharp curve of her ruby red lips gave off an air of danger Sara had always connected with the wild woman. She was in adult form, a pattern of leaves swirling down her evergreen dress. "Yes, I am. Being back in power is just how things should be. Never should this change."

"Hmmm. Sounds fine by me. You will rule your realm, and I will rule the human world."

"You're very ambitious," the Queen said.

Sara shrugged flippantly. Her eyes pulsed with a different kind of pain. Thoughts were rampant in her mind, but the darkness clung to her like an angry thunder cloud. It grappled at her soul, forcing her down one path and one path alone.

"I just know what I'm capable of. What we are capable of."

"Well said."

The wind breezed in sharply, kicking up the debris scattered on the forest floor. Dark feathers fluttered. The torrents were what gave them life despite feeling so dead. There was only so much spirit left in this winged nephilim. Thule has left a heavy impact, as any hellish world would. Sara could faintly remember the before, when her wings were that pearlescent hue. She'd been much happier then, but everything went wrong shortly afterward. And once the trouble began it never did end, did it?

"Sara."

She turned to see her partner standing behind her, the Seelie Queen nowhere to be seen. She hadn't realized just how long she had been standing there lost in thought. His wings were much darker, a shadowy veil of wickedness cast in the silver light of the moon. He was possibly the most angular person she knew. He's also the one who saved me back them. She trusted him, even though she was supposed to hate him. Things had changed surely. Sara doubted they would go back.

"Hello. I was wondering when you would arrive Az."

They both knew he never preferred to be called by his full name, though Sara couldn't fathom as to why. Rumor was he was an important holy angel before the fall, but her sources were skeptical at best. In any case, he knew everything. All their plans, everything came from . . .

"Now is not the time to ponder over something so trivial Sar. We have important things to do." Az cut in. His eyes were red like her own, skin so pale it was almost translucent. Here in the Faerie Realm he was like a dark prince in a forest of wonders.

"I know. I was just thinking."

"About back then?"

"Yes."

"Don't. Pondering over the past will do you no good."

Sara sighed. "I know. You've said this before but . . ."

"But what?"

In her hand was a feather. It was old but still held a touch of heavenly power. Sara closed her eyes, feeling the energy pulsing inside. This feather had remained with her through Thule, providing her with memories of happy times. Harry's feather. She couldn't remember when he'd given it to her, just that he had.

"Harry said that Jace was never a Wayland. That he's my descendant."

There was a snort. "You can't possibly tell me you believe all that nonsense. After how they abandoned you in practically hell." Az sounded angry.

"I know, but still. If he is family. If he's my family. The one I had with Rhys . . ."

Something in Az's expression shifted. It wasn't anger, but whatever it was definitely had a hint of annoyance buried in its depths. "I thought you were done with human emotions. Immortals and their immortality are all you need for this new world. The Shadowhunters and humans will not be apart of it."

She sighed. "But he is the only remnants of those times. Back when there was something good in the world. Surely you can understand where I'm coming from?"

"Maybe." There was a pregnant pause. Once it ended the air seemed to shift around them. It took her a few seconds to realize the air had stopped whipping around them in a frenzied torrent. The stillness was strange, almost wrong. Not even the birds made a peep, as if they too were holding their breaths. "Tell you what. We will salvage this Herondale boy, see if he's worth our troubles. If he is then maybe he can join us."

Something in her sagged in relief. "Thank you Az."

He waved her off. "Don't thank me, not when this might only bring you more pain. Your resolve must remain strong Sara. You cannot falter here. Not when we're so close to achieving our goals. Just look at what we've accomplished already."

An image swirled into view in front of them, a portal mirror glistening with dark energy. Several scenes were depicted. Their secret base obscured in darkness, the screams of innocents riddling the air. The abducted humans hadn't taken well to their new torturers apparently, the wicked smiles of the ruined Endarkened standing out amongst the melee.

Another scene was the faeries who had supported the new Seelie Queen. One of them — Meliorn if she recalled his name— lay in broken huddle on the ground. Blood poured from his wounds and he didn't show signs of getting up. The other Seelies were mourning over the decapitated body of their Queen. Sara hadn't cared for offing the woman, but it had been made clear to her that this new Queen would not have aided them in the war that was about to commence. Old power would have to return.

Next was of her family. Of Gabby and Isaac and Ricardo. They had reacted poorly to her return, not at all in the way she had hoped. Give them time and they'll come around. She wasn't so certain about that, but after all she'd experienced, Sara figured they would either come around or . . .

She didn't dare think about the or.

And then there was the final scene. It depicted the object of their next attack. Skyscrapers rose up into the sky, but she cared little for them. Instead it was the hidden church she was interested in. The cement structure had remained strong despite the hundreds of years of age. The glass murals depicted scenes of special events, mainly Raziel rising up from Lake Lynn to distribute the cup and sword to Jonathan Shadowhunter. She remembered attending this moment of history, the grandeur it made her feel. Everything had been so hopeful back then.

But those days were long over.

"I know we've accomplished a lot."

"So you understand why are goals must be seen through to the very end? Why we must no longer hide in the shadows. Tell me you understand Sara."

Her patience was beginning to thin. "Of course I do." She snapped. "If I didn't none of this would've been possible. We wouldn't be on the brink of succeeding without me."

To this, Az said nothing. She didn't know what to make of his silence. Her companion always seemed to be holding something back. Even back when they were still enemies, Sara was able to sense there was much more to him than what met the eye. Back when her own special power was operational, Sara could see beneath the veil he so carefully constructed, envision just what kind of danger Az possessed.

And why could she not remember it now? Her thoughts were hazy on the matter, as was her memory. She felt him squeeze her shoulder slightly, blinking at her like he was taking in every inch of her.

"I'll leave you to your thoughts. Be ready in an hour or we'll miss our window."

And then he was gone with the flap of his own dark wings.