Chapter 4

"Laney?" It is him. He pops his head around the door. "I told the others I would come check on you," he smiles too wide, like he is up to more than just checking on me.

"I am fine," I answer looking away from his icy, blue eyes.

"Oh really?" He closes the door behind him, trapping us in this tiny bathroom together. "Someone who is 'fine' doesn't usually sit on bathroom floors," he teases, but in an unfriendly manor. "I heard you were back," he continues, as I wonder how he heard. "Your father and Derrick told me, in case you were wondering," he towers over me, as he always has. Answering my question, as if he can read my thoughts. "We have all been best friends for a number of years, you know," he keeps talking, and every word feels like nails on a chalkboard. "You should have known that I was going to be alerted the moment you came back." He runs his fingers through my hair, and I jerk my head away. "Oh Laney," he squats down next me, holding my chin firmly in his hands, "no need to play coy with me."

"No one is playing with you in any manner," I hiss at him. This only seems to excite him more though.

"We shall see about that," he whispers in my ear. His grasp is too strong, and I cannot pull away. He plants a kiss firmly on my mouth before standing back up. "I will see you around Laney-bug," he asserts before exiting the room. I wipe my mouth with the back of my hand aggressively. I wish I could hide in here forever, but I also need to know what he will say to the others. I force myself back on my feet and make my way to the living room once more. Thomas, Richie and Aunt Susie seem to have vacated, probably out of politeness. I also would bet that they are back at our place, waiting for our family to finish our business here. My chair seems to be the only seat not taken in the living room, which I bet was Pawpaw's doing. I take my seat across from Pawpaw once again.

"Ah, see, I told you she would be right back out."

"You were right Ray," Dad pats Ray on the shoulder heartily. Dad shoots me a wink, and I smile back at him. I avoid eye contact with everyone else but Pawpaw.

"Ray," Pawpaw starts, "I have seen Rick around, so I have the latest on him, but I can't even remember when I last saw you." I look intensely at bronze cowboy statue by the fireplace and will myself to be anywhere but here. Better yet, I try willing Ray to be as far away as possible. Stuck on a mountain in the Himalayas would suffice.

"Well as you know, I too am a professor over at the college," he and Derrick cheers to that, and Dad just shakes his head fondly at the two. "Plus, I am still running a small investment firm on the side. So, life has kept me pretty busy with work. I do miss having a student like Laney around," he raises a glass to me, and try to keep all negative emotions inside, "hopefully I can get her behind a desk again soon." He takes a sip of his drink, locking his eyes on mine. I nearly choke on my own drink at his double entendre.

"Cheers to that," Mom exclaims as she raises a glass of her own. I glance over at Pawpaw who is grinning at me. I look back at the cowboy statue, very much wanting to be invisible.

"I'm not so sure that's where dear Harper belongs," Pawpaw expresses, shocking everyone else in the room. I beam at him. "Harper has always flourished in any environment she finds herself." He swirls his near empty drink before resuming, "If she ever goes back to school, it will be because she has found her passion requires more education." Pawpaw downs the rest of his drink, and one of the half-melted ice cubes falls onto his robe.

"Would you like another drink or some water Pawpaw?"

"While your offer for another drink is tempting, Harper," he hands me his empty glass, "I believe I will switch over to water for now." I take his glass and mine back to the kitchen. I wash and rinse his while I attempt to keep my mind wandering to the man I had hoped to never see again. Except maybe at his own funeral.