Chapter Nine: Stay With Me?

"Shaina," Matthew whispered in my ear, "Come on. You gotta wake up."

I grumbled and snuggled deeper against his side. He held me tightly but continued to try to wake me. "Shaina. Come on. Your dad is gonna be here soon with your clothes. And your nurse has already come in twice with your nutrition."

I sighed but uncurled myself and looked up at Matthew. "How long have I been asleep?"

"About four hours."

I smiled up at him groggily. "And you didn't leave?"

"How could I? You were using me as a pillow and a teddy bear." he answered chuckling.

I felt my cheeks heat up and knew they were probably super red.

"Aw Sweet Pea," Matthew cooed cupping my cheek. "Don't be embarrassed. It was cute."

"Knock. Knock." my dad said as he entered the room.

"Hey, Daddy." I greeted.

He set the bag down on the foot of the bed. "Here are your clothes. So it's about 5 o'clock, honey." He said looking at his watch. "Will you be okay here alone tonight? If not your mom or I will stay tonight."

"No, I'm fine, dad. Go on home. I'll be fine."

"Alright." He came to my side of the bed and kissed my forehead. "I'll see you bright and early tomorrow morning." He held out a hand to Matthew. "Matthew, thank you again for saving Shaina and getting her here."

Matthew shook my dad's hand. "Of course, sir. I'd do it again in a heart beat."

My dad thanked Matthew again and then left.

"Matthew?" I asked cautiously.

He looked down at me. "Yes, Sweet Pea?"

"Would you.... Never mind. Never mind." I trailed off embarrassed about asking.

"What is it, Sweet Pea?"

"Would you spend the night here?" I asked quickly and quietly.

"Of course. Anything for you, Sweet Pea."

And that's how the rest of the night was spent. Laying next to Matthew in the hospital bed talking aimlessly about silly things and laughing a lot. I fell asleep wrapped tightly in his arms.

Alright guys this is gonna be the last update for awhile. For a few reasons. First, I have finals coming up in two weeks and this coming week is review week so I've gotta focus on that. And second, I really want to catch The Girl Next Door up to this book. So I've got to get those chapters up.

But I hope you guys enjoy this update and I may, possibly, be able to squeeze in one more. I don't know so don't get your hopes up but I'll try.

Avery