Chapter Twenty-Three: It's Time To Stand Up

Alice was done getting away with hurting people. I was putting a stop to it. Today.

I had avoided talking to Matthew all weekend. I knew I would eventually have to see him today and hopefully by then I had dealt with Alice.

I stomped down the hall with determination. I saw Alice at her locker with her groupies. This was about to get dirty.

"Alice!"

She turned around and eyed me coolly. "Shaina." she greeted casually.

I got up in her face so close our noses were almost touching. "You can ruin my life at school all you want but you cannot take Matthew. I love him. And he's mine." I growled.

Alice just smirked. "Didn't seem like you loved him when you were kissing Jackson at the carnival."

"That's was your fault, you b****!" I screeched. My arm reared back and came down slapping her across the face with a satisfying smack.

Alice cupped her cheek in disbelief. Her two best friends moved up to flank her. She held up a hand. "I got it, girls." she hissed. She turned her attention back to me, "When are you going to understand Matthew is meant to be with me." she said enunciating every word. "He isn't meant to be with some little goody goody. Matthew is mine." she added with a smirking.

That was the last straw. I lunged for her and easily got her onto the tile floor of the hallway. A large crowd gathered around us.

I slapped her face again. "That's for paying Kyle to rape me." I punched her nose hearing a crunch but I didn't care. "And that's for having his friend try to finish the job." I grabbed her hair and yanked it, "And that's for the flyers!"
I punched her cheek with all the force I could muster, "And that's for Matthew!"

Alice tried to fight back. She drug her pointy nails down the side of my face but it didn't do any harm. She didn't know how to fight. At the last moment before a teacher broke up the fight, Alice, by sheer luck, landed a solid blow to my nose. Blood ran down into my mouth.

A teacher yanked me up and off Alice and another pulled Alice from the floor.

"Everyone get to class!" they yelled.

All the students started scrambling in different directions trying to get to class. In the midst of the chaos, I saw Matthew looking stunned.

I wiped my nose and the teacher tugged me along to the front office.

I didn't care how much trouble I was about to get into, that was totally worth it.

The teacher dumped me in a chair in the front office and Alice in another across the room. The secretary handed me a box of tissues for my nose and went to get the nurse because Alice looked awful.

"Shaina Collins!" the principal boomed. "Come in here."

I slowly rose from my seat and entered the office taking the tissues with me.

"Shut the door and sit down." he commanded dryly.

I closed the door and sat across from him.

"Firstly," he began, "Are you alright? Are you going to get blood on my carpet?"

I pressed a wad of tissues to my nose and shook my head. "No. I'm okay."

He nodded. "Who started the fight?"

Wow getting right to business. "I did." I had to own up to what I had done. Even if it meant suspension. "I threw the first punch."

The principal nodded again. "Why? What started this fight?"

"Alice has been making my life a living hell and I was done with letting her get away with it."

"What has she done that has made life so horrible?"

"I'd rather not say."

He raised an eyebrow. "Shaina, if you don't tell me, I have to punish you for this fight. I can't punish Alice because without proof she did something to preempt this fight, you attacked her for no reason."

I nodded. "Fine. Punish me for the fight."

He took a deep breath almost surprised by what I said. "Well, then, for fighting I have to suspend you for three days. Do you have a ride home or do I need to notify your parents?"

"I have a ride."

He filled out a form and handed it to me. "Have your parents sign this tonight and bring it back to the front office tomorrow. And I will be giving them a call to let them know."

I snatched the form and left his office. The secretary followed me to my locker where I grabbed my books and left school for the day. I was so screwed.

Some hours later.

My mom called me as I got home and told me her and my dad would be late but that we would talk about this when they got home.

I was laying in my bed dreading the conversation I would have later with my parents.

Suddenly, I heard awful yelling coming from next door. It was worse than I had ever heard. I crept to my window and peeked out just as Matthew's dad shoved him out their front door.

Matthew crumpled on the sidewalk. I gasped. He dad stalked over to his body and punched and kicked and beat so much, it was miracle Matthew was still alive. I had tears running down my face. His dad landed one last kick then yelled, "You are never welcome in my house ever!" and stalked back inside slamming the door. Matthew didn't move. I ran down my stairs and out the front door to him.

"Oh my god, Matthew!" I exclaimed as I dropped to my knees beside him. He was unconscious. He was bleeding profusely from multiple wounds on his face and I could feel blood, sticky, on his clothes. I yanked my phone from my pocket.

"911 what's your emergency?"

"My boyfriend. He was beaten by his father and now he is unconscious and bleeding badly."

"Okay miss, stay calm. An ambulance and police dispatch are on their way. What's the address?"

I gave her my address and hung up. I cradled Matthew's head my arms. "Please be okay. Please." I begged him. "Don't leave me again."

Bam! Next chapter down and out!

I'm planning on having only two more chapters and an epilogue left!

We finally get some action! #catfight

I hope you guys enjoy this chapter and the brewing drama!

Avery