Chapter Eighteen: Back to face the B****es

One week later.

"Are you sure you're ready for this?" Matthew asked me for umpteenth time.

I sighed. "Yes, Matthew. I'm fine. I haven't had to take my pain medication in three days. I feel great. I'm ready."

"Shaina," Matthew said seriously, "you know that's not what I meant. Are you ready to face them?"

I sighed. "Yes, Matthew. I can handle a few b****es."

"Alright alright. Then, let's go."

I climbed into the front seat of Matthew's truck just like the morning that started all of this.

Matthew pulled into the first parking spot he could find.

"Let's do this." I mumble to myself.

"Hey, I'll be right here. And my buds Nick and Johnny will too. No one will hurt you."

I gulped and nodded.

I climbed out of the car and was met by two boys. "Um hello."

"You must be Shaina."

I immediately got scared. "What-what do you want?"

"Hey calm down. I'm Nick and this is Johnny."

I let out a relieved sigh. "Oh. You're Matthew's friends."

Matthew came around and "bro hugged" the two of them. And, I restate, guys greet each other in the weirdest ways.

"Alright. Ready to face hell?" Matthew asked.

Johnny clapped his hands. "Let's do this."

I walked into school in the most coveted place of any girl, next to Matthew Knight, with his two best friends flanking us like bodyguards.

To say we turned heads was an understatement. Everyone was talking about it all day.

All three accompanied me to my locker. "First period." I sighed. "I don't have y'all to protect me."

"I can change my schedule?" Matthew offered for the fourth time since we walked into school.

"Matthew," I closed my locker, "I'll be fine. I'll see you guys after first period."

I starting walking down the hall. "At least let us walk you to class." Matthew hollered as the three caught up with me.

I rolled my eyes. "Fine." Matthew walked to my right, Nick to my left, and Johnny walked behind us.

I stopped at the door to my English class. "Okay guys. Go to class. I'll be fine."

Matthew and Johnny reluctantly left but Nick stayed. "My uh classroom is just down the hall. I'll wait for you out here when class ends."

I smiled. "Thanks. You guys didn't have to do this. I don't really know y'all."

"Hey, any friend of Matthew's is a friend of ours." he smiled back.

"Thanks, Nick." I have him a quick hug and darted into the classroom.

I went to my teacher's desk first. "Hey, Mr. E."

My English teacher was young, fresh out of college. It was great because he was super laid back.

"Oh, Shaina!" He smiled. "It's so good to have you back. I heard you had surgery. Everything went well?"

"Yeah. I'm all good now. I just wanted to pick up the work I missed."

He rummaged around on his desk. "Well, you didn't miss much actually. You're just behind on the reading." he mumbled as he continued to look for something. "I cannot seem to find the notes I need to give you...." he trailed off standing up straight to look at me. He straightened his glasses. "Why don't you come by during the passing period and I'll give them to you then. Hopefully I'll have found them." he chuckled to himself.

"Thanks, Mr. E." I went to my desk and sat down.

My phone vibrated. I took it out and had a text from Alice: The slut is back.

I ignored it. I was not going to let her get to me.

Throughout the entire class my phone just kept buzzing. I finally took a quick glance down at it and realized, in horror, I was in a group message with the guys in our grade. When Alice said the slut is back, it went to every guy in the grade and they were responding. Crap. My throat was closing.

"Shaina?" I looked up to see Mr. E and the entire class staring at me. "Is everything alright?"

"May I," I cleared my throat and tried again, "May I please be excused?" I asked in the strongest voice I could muster.

"Of course. Do you need to go see the nurse?" he asked worriedly. I nodded. "Take your things with you then."

I quickly tossed my books into my bag and ran to the bathroom.

I quickly unlocked my phone and began reading the messages. They were awful. It made my stomach sick.

I sunk to the floor cradling my head. "What am I going to do?" I mumbled to myself.

I heard the bell ring but didn't want to get up.

My phone began buzzing again and it wasn't a number I knew.

"He-hello?" I asked tentatively.

"Shaina? It's Nick. Where are you?"

"Uh. The bathroom at the end of the hall..." I trailed off. "There's no one in here. Please just, just come in here."

"Yeah yeah sure. I'm on my way. Shaina, are you okay? Do I need to get Matthew?"

"No!" I exclaimed quickly.

"Alright well I'm right outside. You sure no ones in there?"

"Yes." I sighed and hung up.

Nick came in and locked the door behind him. He sat down beside me. I gratefully leaned into him. "Hey, what's up? What happened?" he asked wrapping an arm around me.

"Look, I know I just met you but you're one of Matthew's friends so I can trust you. Just promise me you won't tell him. Please?"

"Shaina,-"

"Please." I pressed. "Promise me."

He sighed. "I don't like keeping things from my best friend but, I will. For now."

I took a deep breath. "Alice told all the guys I am practically a slut and will do anything they want me too."

"Yeah. I knew that already." he butted in quietly, "I saw one of the posters."

"Well, the guys are trying to take me up on the offers... That's why Kyle and his friends attacked me. Kyle wanted a "favor" but I refused and he slapped me and kicked me. And, other guys have called me and texted me. And I'm scared, Nick. I'm scared someone's gonna grab me again. Or worse: rape me. They just don't let up. And Alice has let them all know I'm back and the texts haven't stopped." I handed him my cell phone.

He looked through it. "Wow. That makes me ashamed to be a guy." he said as he handed it back. "We, you, need to tell Matthew. He'll hate that this is happening without him knowing."

"I don't want to tell him. Knowing him, he'll blow of way out of proportion. Please, you can't tell him or Johnny. You can protect me on your own. Please."

He let out another long sigh. "Fine. But if he finds out..." he said giving me a pointed look.

"Thank you." I gave a relieved sigh.

"We should probably get going before, A, someone comes in and sees I'm in the girl's room or B, Matthew flips out that we haven't met him in Commons Area yet."

New update! Hope you guys enjoy!! And thank you guys so much for reading The Girl Next Door! I'm working on catching it up! It's just kind of hard to make each chapter unique so it's not a copy of this with the he's changed to she's. So I'm working hard!

Hope you guys enjoy!

Avery