Chapter Twenty-Two: Carnival Dates Go Awry

Matthew and I had been going strong and happy for a few weeks without any interference from Alice. I was happy. But, of course, it couldn't last.

"Hey, you want to go to the Carnival tonight?" Matthew asked as we lay on my couch watching 19 Kids and Counting.

I grinned up at him. "Sure. That sounds fun. But I promised my mom I'd go see one of her patients who is freaking out over hernia surgery. Apparently it's a guy my age."

Matthew frowned, "Should I be worried?"

I leaned up and kissed him. "Not at all, babe. How about I meet you there at seven?"

"It's a date." He said grinning.

Several Hours Later

I pulled into the field turned parking lot and looked for Matthew's truck.

As I got out a hand clamped down on my mouth and an arm slipped around my waist and lifted me against a hard chest. To say I was scared was an understatement.

The person pulled me out of the lot and against the side of one of the booths.

They released me and Alice sauntered up smirking wearing a skirt that couldn't really be considered a skirt it was so small. It was more like a belt.

"Fancy seeing you here, Shaina."

"What do you want, Alice?" I hissed.

"Oh honey, what I've wanted since day one: Matthew. And I'll get him tonight." She turned her attention to the boy that had grabbed me. "Jackson, bring her." She commanded. "And stay in the shadows."

Jackson clamped his hand down over my mouth again and carried me.

We slunk along in the shadows of the tents.

I tried to gasp as Matthew came into view. He kept glancing at his watch probably wondering where I was.

Then I watched in utter horror as Alice casually walked up to him.

Jackson pushed me closer so we could hear what they were saying.

"Meeting someone?" Alice asked casually.

"Uh, I'm supposed to meet Shaina. She just must be late." He said looking uncomfortable.

"Matthew," she said quietly feigning sadness, "there's something I should tell you. When I came in, I saw Shaina making out with another guy."

I saw a look of hurt flash across Matthew's face and tried to call out but Jackson tightened his grip on my mouth. As quickly as it had come, it was replaced by anger. "You're such a liar, Alice. Leave me alone."

He started to walk away but Alice grabbed his arm. "If you don't believe me then you won't mind if I show you where I saw them?"

Matthew paused for a minute before nodding. Alice took his hand and Jackson dragged me back to the booth we had been at but we were further in the shadows.

I heard Alice yapping to Matthew as they walked up.

"I'm sorry," Jackson whispered before pressing me against the booth and kissing me. He held my hips tightly so I couldn't squirm or get away. My hands pushed weakly at his chest. He was too strong.

I heard an astonished gasp. "Shaina?" Matthew said his voice full of hurt and sadness.

Jackson sprang away from me making it look like I had pushed him off.

I drug my hand over my mouth. "Matthew, it's not what it looks like!"

"I have eyes, Shaina!" he yelled but all I could see in his expression was hurt. "Damn it." he muttered quickly looking down. He looked back up at me. Tears shown in his eyes, "We're done, Shaina."

I felt like the breath had been knocked out of me. "Matthew," I choked trying to hurry after him.

But Jackson grabbed my arm. "Don't. Let him cool off."

I yanked my arm away tears spilling down my cheeks. "Stop! You've done enough!"

He grabbed my arm again stopping me, "Shaina. Let me explain. Please. It'll give Matthew time to cool down."

"But Alice-"

"He won't do anything with her." Jackson cut me off. "Can I explain?" I took a deep breath and nodded. We sat down on the ground. "Alice made me do it. I never wanted to break Matthew and you up but Alice has some dirt on me I'm not proud of. She forced me into this but she never said I couldn't help get you out." I looked at him surprised. "Leave Matthew alone for the weekend. Let him cool off. Then on Monday I'll vouch that this was all a set up. I promise. I'll help you get Matthew back."

I paused for a minute. "Okay," I nodded, "Okay yeah."

Put the weapons down! I'm so sorry to break them up before they really got together but I had to for what's coming next!

The next chapter will be full of drama! And then there are only a few chapters and an epilogue left! *Tear*

I hope you guys have enjoyed this book as much as I have!

I also just wanted to say thank you guys so so so much for 10.3K reads! Like what?! That is unbelievable! I never thought I would have achieved that. Thank you so much!

Next chapter should be up within a few days!

Avery