9 | blake

"Blake?"

"Blake?"

I hear my name being spoken, though the word doesn't register in my mind. I'm too caught up in my own world, it's as if the real world has faded to nothing but background noise.

"Blake!" My name is repeated louder, and then I notice a hand waving in front of my face, blocking the view of the figure I'd previously been staring at and bringing me back to reality.

"What?" I turn to Jess and offer a questioning smile, wondering what she'd been saying before I began tuning her out.

Jess looks somewhat annoyed as she studies me, her annoyance fading to amusement as she raises a dark eyebrow.

"What were you staring at?" she asks. I purse my lips as I glance back at the direction I'd previously been looking towards. I seem to make a mistake in doing so, because Jess follows my gaze with her own.

I know all too well that her dark eyes will land on Noah Reed as he stands across the courtyard, just as mind do.

"No way," Jess murmurs, eyes returning to me. "You're checking out Noah Reed?"

I don't immediately answer Jess, pondering a response. I wouldn't say I've been checking Noah out, instead merely choosing to study him because I'm somewhat intrigued.

I haven't spoken to Noah since I gave him a tour of the school. I haven't been holding out hope that I'd ever talk to him again, as he made it very clear he wasn't interested in becoming friends the first time we met. Besides, it wasn't as if I had suggested anything of the sort. Nothing ties me to the boy I'm looking at now except for the fact that our fathers are friends, and even that has nothing to do with the two of us directly.

I don't know what it is about Noah Reed that has me unable to take my eyes off of him. He's standing alone across the courtyard, near the school doors. I've noticed that he's sort of a longer, tending to keep to himself by not saying much to anyone. I've also noticed that he does this by choice. I've seen people approach him—girls especially—and try to engage in conversation. However, Noah always shuts them down. He's not exactly rude, though makes it clear that he'd rather be alone than with company.

Noah Reed doesn't seem interested in forming friendships, much less with me. I know this.

So why can't I stop staring at him?

I watch carefully as he leans against the brick wall behind him, running a hand through his dark blond hair. He reaches a hand into the back pocket of his jeans, pulling out a pack of cigarettes and a lighter. He removes a cigarette before sliding the container back into his pocket before placing the stick between his lips, cupping a hand around the cigarette as he sets it ablaze with the lighter. He proceeds to take a slow drag from the cigarette before exhaling and turning the air around him to smoke.

"Blake." Jess saying my name causes me to jump, startling me so that my heart races. For a moment, I'd forgotten that I'm not alone.

Except for Noah Reed. I'd been all too aware of Noah Reed.