25 | blake

"You know," I say to Noah as we cross the parking lot together

"You know," I say to Noah as we cross the parking lot together. I'm heading for my car, unsure of exactly why Noah has joined me—not that I'm complaining. I know he takes the bus home, so the parking lot is pretty useless to him right now.

However, I don't mind his company.

"Jackie keeps asking about you," I finish my statement, glancing over at Noah. "I think she misses you."

"My cuteness still hasn't worn off?" Noah teases, those silver flecks in his eyes gleaming brightly as his gaze flirts with mine. "Damn. She's in this for the long haul, huh?"

A laugh escapes me just as I reach my car. I hesitate a moment, leaning against the passenger door as I continue to converse with Noah.

"Even my brothers want to see you again," I tell him. "Reeve keeps saying something about some backhand throw he wants you to teach him?"

"Yeah?" I can't quite read the expression Noah wears. I'm curious as to what he's thinking.

"My mom said you were a real gentleman," I tease. Noah's lip curls into a grin as he glances down at me, shaking his head.

"I see what you're doing here, sweetheart," he says, biting back a smile.

I raise an eyebrow, feigning innocence. "I'm not doing anything."

"So, you're not trying to say you want me to come over to your house again by telling me how much your family misses me? And I know that last part was a lie, so don't even try to deny it," Noah teases, no longer able to withhold his grin.

"I was not!" I defend myself. "My mom did say that. Of course, she doesn't know you all that well, so it's no wonder . . ." I trail off, offering Noah a taunting smile.

"Ouch, Rhodes. You know how to hit a guy where it hurts."

"Believe what you want then. I'm not trying to convince you to come to my house. All I'm saying is, certain people may miss you. That's all."

"Right." Noah nods, wetting his lips. "So, what do you want me to do about it?"

"I don't know . . ." I shrug. "I mean, you could always visit those certain people that may miss you. Whatever you wanna do, I guess."

"Why can't you just say that you want me to go to your house?" Noah questions, shooting me a look that has my heart pounding in my chest.

"Because that would be a lie," I argue, though the statement itself is a lie.

Noah stares down at me for a moment. Absentmindedly, I pull my bottom lip between my teeth, wondering what he's thinking.

"Okay, then," Noah says abruptly, smiling ruefully. "I'm gonna miss my bus, so—"

"Fine!" I blurt before Noah can walk off. "Yes, that was my not-so-discreet way of inviting you over. Happy now?"

Noah tries to hide his smirk by furrowing his eyebrows, gazing down at me questioningly. "Why, exactly, would you want me to come to your house, sweetheart?"

"We're friends, right?" I muse, answering his question with a question. "That's what friends do. They hang out sometimes."

A shadow crosses Noah's face and his dark blue eyes harden, turning his gaze to stone. He refuses to meet my stare as he mumbles, "We really shouldn't be friends."

His words have my heart starting to race, and not in a good way. My palms begin to sweat and I feel nervous, as if I'm afraid. Afraid of Noah turning his back on me now.

Before Noah can say anything else, I blurt, "Well, we are. It's already been done. Sorry, Noah, but you're stuck with me."

As Noah's eyes meet mine, the darkness that had previously shadowed his face fades. Barely audibly, Noah murmurs, "I guess I could be stuck with worse company."

"So, what do you say?" I ask brightly. "I mean, not to brag or anything, but my car is way nicer than the bus."

"It is my day off from the shop," Noah points out, seemingly lost in thought. He looks as if he's battling some internal war, unsure of whether or not to take me up on my offer or run for the bus.

"You never know, Noah," I say with a grin. "You might even have fun."

"Me? Fun? Never." I'm thinking he's going to pass on the invite when he suddenly takes a step forward. His hand reaches for the passenger door handle, the same door I'm currently leaning against. His touch brushes against my side as he grabs the handle, instantly giving me butterflies.

Noah glances down at me, wearing a knowing smile. "If you want me to get in the car, you're going to have to get off the door."

____

a/n: so like. does anyone know how to not be sad all the time? asking for a friend.

 does anyone know how to not be sad all the time? asking for a friend