48 | noah

Just as Thorne and I have finally quit goofing off and managed to fix the distributor in the Ford, Mia pulls into the driveway of the garage

I'm in awe the second I see her. Mia McHenry really is beautiful, with her dark wavy hair, hazel eyes, and luminous smile. More than that, she's a beautiful soul. Seeing her reminds me of everything she's done for me in the past, which has me wanting to smile and tear up all at once.

As Mia approaches, her gaze settles on me. Her eyes light up as she grins and cries, "Noah!" Her arms are wrapped around me in seconds, pulling me into a tight embrace.

"I've missed you so much!" she exclaims. "It's so good to see you."

I smile as I return her hug, feeling the same way. "It's good to see you too, Mia."

Mia pulls away from me, and the next thing I know her fist is ramming into my gut. Hard. I double over, wondering when Mia got so violent.

"That is for leaving in the first place," Mia tells me before smacking my forearm and making me wince. "And that is for coming back and not bothering to call!"

"Okay," I wheeze, rubbing my abused arm. "I get it, I get it."

I glance over at Thorne, finding him leaning against the Ford and wearing a smirk. "That's my girl," he says, extending an arm out to Mia. She doesn't hesitate to lean into him, Thorne's arms wrapping around her instantly.

"Was your drive good?" Thorne asks, glancing down at Mia.

"Mhm," Mia hums, resting her hand on his chest. I find my gaze focusing on the small rose tattoo Thorne has on his arm, knowing it's not the only ink he has dedicated to Mia. When it comes to couple-related tattoos, many are very opinionated on the subject. To be honest, I couldn't imagine getting something so permanent tatted on me for someone else unless I was absolutely certain about my future with them. But Thorne and Mia have been going strong for over a year now, and the love they have for each other is something other people can actually feel. If I had to bet, I'd say the two together are endgame.

"Your stuff is in my car," Mia tells Thorne, who smiles down at her appreciatively.

"Thank you, Sunshine." Thorne leans down to kiss her, and Mia turns to face me with a serious expression once they pull away. She smiles faintly, wrapped in Thorne's arms, appearing wistful and happy.

"You know," Mia starts, pointing a finger at me, "you're different now."

I lift an eyebrow in question. "Yeah?" I ask. "What makes you say that?"

"Well, you're not drunk or stoned," Mia muses. "Then there's the fact that you're actually smiling, so something has to be up."

Before I have the chance to respond, Mia deadpans, "Who's the girl?"

"Her name is Blake Rhodes," I admit with a sigh. Talking about Blake has me wishing she were here. Is that what love is? Constantly wanting the person of your affection around, because everything is simply better in their presence?