24 | blake

"What's going on between you two, anyway?"

"What's going on between me and who?" I question, feigning innocence in response to Jess's question. I have no doubt that Jess has caught me staring at Noah Reed once again.

"You know who," my best friend chides, shooting me a pointed look. "I mean, I see you and Noah talking all the time now. He actually talks to you! That's, like, a big deal. So. Tell me what's going on there."

"Noah's just a friend. And he's actually a really sweet person. You just have to try to get through to him, is all. You know, you should talk to him. He could use all the friends he can get."

"No way!" Jess counters. "Sure, the boy is hot. But he's totally scary. I mean, what's with the brooding glare all of the time? And the cigarettes? And the fact that he refuses to talk to anyone? Except for you, apparently."

"The only reason he talks to me is because I actually put in effort to get to know him," I try to reason with Jess. For some reason, I want her to like Noah.

"You know what?" I give Jess a wide smile as I rise from my seat, grabbing my lunch. "I'm going to go sit with him."

"You're what?" Jess questions, eyes bugging.

"Noah Reed doesn't scare me," I tell Jess, rolling my eyes.

"So, you're just going to leave me here alone?" Jess hisses.

"You could always come sit with us." I shrug, waiting for Jess to give in. She stares back at me defiantly, arms crossed over her chest.

"Suit yourself," I say simply, walking off. Out of the corner of my eye, I notice Jess hurriedly grabbing her lunch, following after me.

"Okay, fine," Jess grumbles, falling into line with me as I walk toward Noah across the courtyard. "Why do you make me do things like this?"

I ignore Jess's comment, smirking to myself at her exaggeration of a mild situation.

Within a few feet of Noah, I notice my heart beginning to race, ramming against my rib cage. I'm unsure of why, unable to control the way I react to his presence.

Noah glances up from his phone as I lower myself into the seat across from him at the table he sits at. For a moment, his expression is unreadable. His eyes begin to dance as they meet mine, the corners of his lips pulling into a smile.

"What do you think you're doing?" Noah questions teasingly.

"I think I'm eating lunch with you," I tell Noah with a warm smile. "That's what friends do, right?"

"So, you're serious about this friend thing?" Noah asks, the question seemingly mostly to himself. He gazes at Jess curiously as she falls onto the bench next to me, though doesn't comment.

"Noah, this is my friend, Jess," I introduce the two. "Jess, this is Noah Reed."

I watch as Jess and Noah eye each other warily, both unsure of how to acknowledge the other. I know for a fact that Noah won't be the first to open up, as that's not his personality. Though Jess can also be very stubborn when she wants to be.

Surprising me, Noah clears his throat. Then he offers Jess a kind smile, surprising me further.

"It's nice to meet you, Jess," Noah says. I can tell my best friend is just as shocked as I am at Noah's cordiality.

"Uh, nice to meet you, too," Jess mumbles in response, stumbling over her words.

"Someone is in a good mood," I note, teasing Noah.

Noah shrugs. "What are you talking about? I'm always a ray of sunshine."

To this, I laugh. I can sense Jess's apprehension of the situation as I playfully shove Noah's arm off of the table and remark, "Sure."

"Are you doubting my sunny personality, sweetheart?" Noah questions, frowning at me.

"Never," I assure Noah, unable to suppress a smile. "I just think you have yourself confused with someone else."

"You're right," Noah admits. "Clearly, I thought I was talking about you."

I blush. Next to me, Jess snorts. Noah's attention shifts to her, and I don't know why I suddenly become jealous of her.

"Blake? Sunny? Okay." Jess laughs.

"Hey," I nudge Jess playfully. "I'm a very friendly person. At least, I think so."

"You're not wrong." Noah leans back, gazing at me with an unreadable expression. "Unless you have strep. Then your dark side comes out."

"Oh, please," Jess says, smirking at Noah. "You didn't have to take care of her all weekend."

"And you didn't have to drag her to the doctor's office," Noah counters.

"Okay. You win." Jess shakes her head as she gazes at Noah sympathetically. "Taking Blake to the doctor is the worst. She's deathly afraid of needles."

"You guys do know I'm still here, right?" I question, narrowing my eyes at my friends.

"Right," Noah mutters, grinning at me. "Sorry, sweetheart."

"Asshole at three o'clock," Jess mumbles crossly, glaring at something to my right. I turn to find Mason talking to a guy by the school doors, instantly putting a damper on my mood.

"Your ex?" Noah questions, his eyes following mine.

"You know Mason?" Jess asks Noah. "God. He's the worst."

I take a deep breath, biting down on my bottom lip, hoping the conversation doesn't continue. Noah must seem to sense my discomfort, because he doesn't respond to Jess's former comment. Instead, he changes the subject entirely, saving me from being further unnerved.

I can't help thinking to myself that Noah Reed is really a nice guy. You just have to look through his rough exterior and get to know him. I've seen how most people simply give up before getting through to him, deciding he's not worth the trouble.

I'm glad I took a chance on him.

____

a/n: so my homophobic parents are actually letting me spend an entire week with my girlfriend in may (if quarantine doesn't continue for too much longer) and i've literally never been happier about something in my life.