Chapter 4-Code Red

So far, this day has been a day—a horrible, weird, bullshit filled day. The good news is, Dwyer, kicked me out, so I was able to grab the only bench not covered in bird crap. As I wait for the lunch bell to ring, I can't help but wonder what in the hell that kid's problem was. First, he almost runs me over and then that? I'm used to people making fun of me, but that was different. But, I have bigger problems than a ginger-phobic kid.

My home is being ripped apart, and there's nothing I can do about it because Maeve made sure it isn't my home any longer. She took away the one thing I cared about, the one thing that made me me. This is exactly why I can't tell her about what's been going on with me. She'll send me to a psych hospital—just like she did to mom.

The bell rings, and instantly my phone begins buzzing. I look down to see someone has tagged me in their story. Who the hell would tag me in their Insta story? Bundty, that's who. My eyes widen as I open her story—it's a partial video of that kid freaking out with the caption "Dead" and a crying emoji. I slam my phone down as it continues to vibrate, obviously with more tags.

"Yass!" I hear Jaxson call as he slams down his lunch. "The good bench, did you get kicked out of class again?"

"Obvi," I say.

"What'd you do now?"

"Take a look," I say, opening Jaxson's phone for him to Bundty's Insta story.

Jaxson stops mid-sandwich bite and coughs. It's the kind of cough like he knows something I don't.

"It was the same asshole who hit me with his car today," I say as Jaxson looks up at me, dropping his sandwich.

"Damnit!" Jaxson yells.

"What?!"

"You don't notice anything about him?" Jaxson says, flicking me in the forehead.

"What the hell am I supposed to notice?"

"I don't know? How about the fact that he looks Japanese?!"

"Why does that matter..." I drop off. "Oh." Rina.

"Ya, Rina's cousin was moving here today! Remember?"

"Are you suggesting I assume all Japanese people are related?"

"It's Sweet Home Vel! There ain't any other Japanese people!"

He has a point. Why hadn't it dawned on me earlier?

"What'd you do to him?" Jaxson continues as he grabs his head. He's moved to complete freak-out mode.

"What?!"

"People don't act like that without someone triggering them."

"Jaxson, I have literally never talked to that guy in my whole life besides when I yelled at him for almost killing me this morning!"

"What the hell am I supposed to tell Rina?"

"Rina is the one who should be freaking out. She's the one who has to explain that freak's behavior!"

"This is wack," Jaxson says as a smile moves across his face.

"It's not funny!" I demand as he takes a bite of his sandwich.

"It kind of is." Jaxson busts out into laughs as ham and mayo fall out of his mouth.

I don't know if it's the ham, his stupid smile, or the irony of this whole dumb day, but I bust out in laughs too. For a moment, all the bullshit seems to fade until I see Rina's horrified face running over to us.

"Oh, my God!" Rina says, collapsing down next to Jaxson, whose smile instantly fades. "I'm so embarrassed."

For the first time since I can remember, I don't have a response. I'm kind of known for my snarky come-backs, it's basically like my sport, but legit I have no idea what to say to her. Instead, I look to Jaxson, who is squirming uncomfortably.

"I've been texting Jin nonstop, and he won't answer," Rina continues. "I'm mortified. What happened?!"

I respond with a shoulder shrug.

"Jin and I grew up together, and I was so excited about you guys meeting him! I hope it's not ruined." Rina says, tears beginning to flood in her eyes.

"Seems pretty ruined to me," I say quietly, taking the rest of Jaxson's sandwich.

"There HAS to be some explanation!" she demands as Jaxson comforts her.

"He did hit me with his car this morning," I think out loud.

"WHAT!" Rina only becomes more hysterical.

"Rina, it's all good. This doesn't change anything," Jaxson says, hugging her.

"Don't worry, I'm fine," I add as Jaxson fusses over Rina's blubbering.

I can see and hear the snickering around me. By now, everyone has probably seen the video—story of my life. I can handle everyone laughing at me. I'm used to it. I can handle some dumb kid being a jerk and calling me "Red Lady." What I can't handle is my home being ripped away from me.

"Holy shit!" I say, standing up as the epiphany hits me.

"What?" Jaxson asks, alarmed.

"He's a Dodger's fan!"

"Who?" Jaxson asks.

"Jin," Rina answers for me as her puffy eyes become confused.

"Exactly!"

"So?" Jaxson asks.

"Where did he move?" I demand, slamming my hands down in front of Rina, who jumps back at the surprise.

"It's an old house off umm..." Rina searches for the street name, but I already know before she can say.

"Off HillCrest drive?" I demand

Jaxson's jaw drops as his eyes meet mine.

"Shit," Jaxson says.

"What's wrong?" Rina asks, looking mortified.

"Your cousin, the one who basically ran me over, the one who freaked out when he saw me, he moved into..." I can't even finish that sentence. I turn away as anger fills me.

"Rina, remember the house I was telling you about? Vel's old house? That house is on HillCrest drive..."

"Oh no," I hear Rina say as I start pacing.

"We had no idea it was even for sale, and then last night my mom told me she sold it. Vel just found out this morning."

Rina's phone buzzes. "It's Jin!"

Rina can't unlock her phone faster enough, Jaxson puts his hand on her shoulder as he leans over to look.

Jaxson's eyebrows raise as he reads outs, "Code Red."

"We haven't used our code words since we were kids..." Rina says, as her eyes widen.

Code RED, how ironic.

"What was Code Red?" Jaxson asks as his eyes shoot back and forth between Rina and me.

"What we were most afraid of growing up," Rina says softly.

"And that was?" I ask, feeling chills run up me from seemingly nowhere.

"Yūrei," she says grabbing her shoulders as if cold.

"Your what?" Jaxson asks, confused.

"Ghost."

*As always, please take a second to vote :) -Barbara