Chapter 18-Fishing

"Why are you two so quiet?" Maeve demands, poking at her undercooked chicken.

"Nothing," Jaxson responds while shooting me a solid stink-eyes in between his phone scrolls.

The Insta-feeds and Twittersphere blew up after lunch. People couldn't stop talking about this new "beef" between the crazy ginger and the new kid. I'm pretty sure Jin got like two hundred more followers because of it. However, I'm pretty sure I lost one of my only followers—Jaxson.

"Vel?" Maeve demands, obviously aware of the looks Jaxson has been giving me.

"Nothing," I mumble as I wait anxiously for Jin's next message.

"Seriously guys," Maeve slams her fork down to give us her typical mean mug. "I normally can't get you two to shut up. What am I missing?"

"Ask Vel," Jaxson says, slumping down in his chair.

"Seriously?" I shoot Jaxson a dirty look.

"What's wrong?" Maeve looks almost revealed that it's me and not Jaxson that's the problem—typical.

"JAXSON is mad at me because his girlfriend's cousin doesn't like me."

"Rina's cousin..." Maeve's voice waivers a little.

"Yeah, Jin Caldwell, you know them quite well, you sold them my house, remember?"

"What'd you do to him?" Maeve looks concerned.

"I didn't do anything to him!" Well, not intentionally.

"Vel..." Maeve insists, looking freaked out. She's probably wondering if she'll have to "explain" me to them now like she does to everyone else.

"Is this real life? You guys are just like all the other assholes!" I yell as I slam my chair back to leave. I don't need to sit here and take this—this shitty chicken isn't worth it. My stomach feels like shit, and I don't even have an appetite anyways. I turn to drop one last rage comment before storming off. "You know Jaxson, I honestly expected Maeve to think it's all my fault, but I really thought you of all would be on my side."

As I storm off to run up the stairs tears well in my eyes. Seriously? Why am I so upset? This whole hate thing is fake, but everyone's reaction to it is real. And the way Jaxon is treating me because of it is real. Maybe Jaxson isn't my best friend like I thought he was, maybe he's just my friend because he has to be. As I slam the door, my phone buzzes in my pocket. The excitement of a new message has my tears running dry. I open the phone and jump onto the bed.

I'm here...

Ur early?!?!

I couldn't wait, we have soooo much to do.

Can you climb?

??

I'll throw down a rope

Why u have rope?

Tell u latr

?

Come on! I text as I run over to the Lowe's bag to unwind the unexpectedly expensive rope I purchased earlier today. I low key felt like a serial-killer buying it, but desperate times call for desperate measures. Running to the window, I open it and throw one end of the rope down. Soon, I see Jin creeping along the side of my yard. I have to cover my mouth so I won't laugh at his ridiculous stealth stride.

"What?" He whispers up to me as soon as he reaches the bottom of my window.

"You look ridic," I whisper back down, cupping my mouth to make my words echo down.