Chapter 17-Worse than Socks for Christmas

Class passed pretty quickly since it was a quiz day. Quiz day means quiz then nap until Maggie Velmore is done—basically, it's a guaranteed all period nap. Honestly, I don't know if it was the rush of adrenaline leaving me or the lack of sleep, but I feel low key sick. As the bell rings, Maverick launches himself up to Jin. I stand up and fight some dizziness.

"Hey, man, come with me, and I'll introduce you to the other guys," Maverick says while grabbing Cece's hand.

"Later Firecrotch," Maverick calls as he and Cece walk off.

Jin looks back, and I discreetly shoo him with my hands, and with my permission, he follows them.

I hurry to my locker, grab my lunch, and head out to find Jaxson sitting on the grass. Damn, no table today.

"How was the test?" Jaxson asks as I plop down next to him.

"What?" I ask, confused, itching myself, as my skin suddenly feels like it's on fire. What the hell?

"The test?"

Oh shit. I forgot. "Yeah, fine.

"It's weird cause I walked by Dwyer's this morning and didn't see you."

"Didn't take me long," I say, stuffing my sandwich in my mouth to avoid more conversation.

"Why are you itching?"

"I don't feel good, and for some reason, I'm itching?!" I say, vigorously rubbing my arms to get it to stop.

"Maybe you're developing allergies?"

My phone buzzes. It's Jin.

Rina is demanding I come over.

Don't! You can't be seen w me if u want to fit in with Maverick and the b-ball guys.

What do I tell her?

No?

"Who are you DMing?" Jaxson asks suspiciously.

"No one," I say, putting my phone away to shove another bite into my mouth.

"So I wanted to talk to you about—"

"Let's not."

"You didn't even know what I was going to say!" Jaxson says before Rina sits down beside him, causing him to get quiet.

"Hey Vel..." she says, cautiously.

"Hey," I respond, trying to avoid eye contact.

"So, I haven't got to talk to Jin, but..."

"I've already talked to him," I say as Rina's face lights up with surprise.

"AND?" she demands.

"Look, Rina, I'm going to be honest. We just don't get along."

"What do you mean?" Jaxson says, sitting up straight.

"Meaning, he is hanging with Maverick and his douchebagy friends...look," I say, pointing over to Jin sitting with all the people I hate most in the world.

Is it ironic that Jin's fake hate for me has made him instant friends with people who actually hate me? I feel like I'm living one of those 90 teen movies Maeve is always watching reruns of.

"Why would he be hanging out with them?" Rina asks, confused.

"Why wouldn't he? He's hot, and he plays baseball, he fits right in with them."

"How do you know he plays baseball?" Jaxson asks, his eyes narrowing.

"You think he's hot?" Rina joins in.

"I mean, I don't, but other people would think he's hot, I mean, right?" I'm rambling. Jaxson knows I ramble when I'm nervous.

"But how do you know he plays baseball?" He insists.

"Because I Insta stalked him, okay?!"

"Why?" Wow, Jaxson isn't going to let this one go.

"Because it's not every day someone freaks out when they see you, so I wanted to see who he was besides being Rina's freaking cousin. Jezus!" I start to collect my things to get up.

"Wait," Rina claws at me, trying to stop me from leaving.

"What happened in class today?"

"He called me ginger names when he came in with his new friends," I say, getting up. "Rina, I'm sorry, but we all aren't going to sit in circles and sing songs like you want!"

I grab the rest of my things and head off before Jaxson can question me more. I feel my phone buzz. It's Jin.

Watch out

Watch out? Before I can text back, I fall flat onto the ground, my lunch falling everywhere. I look up to see Bundty's foot slide back under the table across from Jin.

As everyone laughs around me, I feel all my irritation bubble up inside me like a can of soda that's been shaken, and Bunty's the dumb idiot who decided to open it.

"Are you kidding me?" I yell, as no one rushes to help me up. Shocker.

"Oops, I'm sorry. It was an accident," Bunty says coyly.

"I knew you were dumb, but I didn't know you were blind. Can prosties still work the stage blind?"

"Excuse me?" Bundy says, standing to face me.

"Oh, you're deaf too? I SAID YOU'RE DUMB."

Maverick stands up to pull Bundty aside. "She's just jealous because no one wants her fire crotch."

"You're right, Mavey-poo," Bundty says, turning away.

"Oh, really, Mavey-poo?" I say, folding my arms. "Because I seem to remember several months ago you sliding into my DMs."

"EXCUSE ME!" Bunty yells, looking back and forth between Maverick and me.

"Vel!" I hear Jaxson call from behind me, and before I know it, he's trying to pull me away.

"In her fucking dreams," Maverick says as he squirms.

"No, actually it's in my DMs," I laugh as Bundty tries to launch forward to hit me as Maverick blocks her.

Jin looks over at me, sensing the escaping situation and stands to draw the attention away.

"OH SHIT! It's Red Lady! Come on, run!" Jin screams as he starts to run away but doubles back to grab everyone yelling, "LET'S GO!"

Laughter and phones emerge to film Jin, Maverick, Bundty, and all the other douchebags running away from the table screaming, "Watch out for Red Lady!"

Soon, I hear Rina's voice behind me.

"This is worse than getting socks for Christmas," she cries as I turn to see Jaxson comforting her.

Shit. Jaxson shakes his head at me and turns to walk Rina back to their lunches, leaving me all alone to pick up mine from the ground.