Chapter 46-Conditions Suck

"Name it," Maeve says, straightening, going into full relator negotiation mode.

"It's a condition for you, Maeve," Malcolm says.

Maeve looks a little scared, but only for a second before her RBF face settles back in.

"Go on," she says firmly.

"Come with me."

"I don't follow..." Maeve says.

"Be my prodigy."

"What does that entail?" Maeve continues, her face struggling to stay strong.

"I'll teach you what I know. Picture it, a series reboot of Master Malcolm's Secrets to our World!" Malcolm's eyes light up as if imagining their names in the sky.

"What about Vel?" Maeve asks cautiously.

"Well, she can stay here! In the house. It'll never be safe for her to leave this town. She doesn't have your family's gift. She has your family's curse. And a curse is much less effective for ratings than a gift."

"Fuck this guy," Jin whispers to me, grabbing my hand. "You're special to me."

I'm too angry right now to swoon over Jin's words. And the crazy thing is that I'm not even mad that my dad doesn't want me. If tonight has taught me anything, it's that I DO have people that care about me. For whatever freaking reason, no matter how crazy I am, people care about me. I have Jin, Jaxson, freaking Rina, maybe even Maverick, and unbeknownst it to me, I have Maeve. I mean, Maeve is willing to risk her own life for me, and honestly, that's why I'm angry because Maeve shouldn't have to give up anything to save me.

"I can't go with you," Maeve begins, her eyes moving fast as she processes the ultimatum. "I can't leave Jaxson and Vel. They have two more years of high school. You said so yourself. It's not safe for Vel to leave."

I wink at Maeve as she looks proud to have found a possible loophole.

"Yes, of course," Malcolm says, pacing. "Well then in two years! When they graduate, you come with me, and in the meantime, I'll visit and begin your training!"

Shit, I guess that didn't work the way Maeve wanted.

"I uhh...I have a little boy. Another boy. Silas, what about—"

"I must meet him!" Malcolm says, excited. "I'll be able to tell if he has the gift! Unfortunately, your other one did not, but he did have my handsome chin."

Jin and I can't help but roll our eyes at Malcolm.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa," I say, my head spinning with a sudden spike in anger, "Let me get this straight. You have the means to help me, your daughter, but you won't unless you can blackmail your other daughter into being a freaking puppet for your TV show?"

"I have the means to help you but at a great cost to myself. Why is it unfair to ask for something in return to recoup my loss?" Malcolm asks sincerely. "Besides, I need to make up for lost time!"

"You can't just mess with people's lives like that," Jin's angry voice says. "Especially your own daughters!"

"Vel, Jin, let me handle this. I'm the adult. Let's worry about the details later and move forward with figuring out the logistics." Maeve continues.

"So, we have a deal then?" Malcolm asks, a smile peering across his face.

Maeve nods, extending her head, eyes firm and confident.

"Maeve!" I yell as I watch her hand shake Malcolm's.

"I have an idea. I hope it's not too late." Jin says, turning to run out the front door.

What the hell just happened?

"What's his grand idea? Running away?" Maeve says, giving me a judgy look.

"I'm sure he has an idea!" At least, I hope he does.

"He's proven to be a smart young lad, I'm sure he has a marvelous plan," Malcolm agrees.

"You're right. He's been more help than you," I scoff back.

"You wouldn't even know—"

Heavy footsteps and a high pitch voice interrupt Malcolm. The door flings open to reveal Jin, tugging Maverick and Bundty.

"I'm lucky...I caught them before they were out of the driveway," Jin says, out of breath as his hands collapse on his thighs for support.

"Seriously? What do you want now! We had a deal already!" Bundty's shrill voice rants.

"I uhh..." Maeve says, just as concerned as I am.

"Jin, what the hell are they doing here? We literally have less than an hour before freaking Red Lady gets here!"

"Red Lady? Ain't that you?" Maverick says, looking over at me, as dumb and confused as ever.

"Just listen," Jin insists, pushing everyone towards the living room.

"Cece, I know Maeve told you not to post anything about this night on your phone, but I'm giving you permission," Jin says.

WHAT?!

Malcolm looks like he's about to have a heart attack as he yells, "Absolutely not!"

"This isn't about you," Jin says.

"Jin, what the hell are you saying?!" I demand.

"Cece, make an Insta story, make it look like we're partying. And tag Rina and me!"

"I don't want people knowing I'm in the same room as you freaks!" Bundty says, crossing her arms.

"Will it help, Vel?" Maverick asks, concern in his voice.

"One hundred percent," Jin nods to Maverick.

"Jin," I say, discreetly pulling him aside to whisper, "Red Lady will be here soon. How is me murdering people going to help me?!"

"Just listen," Jin says, turning back to everyone. "Rina's dad stalks her Insta. He's a total hard-ass, but in this case, it's perfect!" Jin insists with a massive smile on his face.

"Your point?" I ask.

"I don't follow," Maeve says.

"My parents will see that we are having a party here and they'll flip! They'll head straight over."

"Isn't that what we are trying to avoid? Don't we want to get everyone out of here?" Maeve asks, confused.

"Yes, everyone should go for their safety, including us!" Malcolm says, perturbed.

"Jin, why the hell would you want your parents to come here? Red Lady is coming soon! Everyone should leave. Like now!"

"My mom has always been terrified of one thing," Jin says.

"What?" I ask.

"Ghosts."

"Of course!" For the first time all night, hope fills me.

"Ghosts?" Maverick says, rubbing his arms as if cold.

Cece's eyes seem to shift suspiciously while she decides what shitty thing to say next.

"You want your parents to see Vel's spirit so—" Maeve begins.

"So they'll think it's haunted and—" I continue.

"And sell." Malcolm completes the thought.

"Exactly," Jin says. "Trust me, Red Lady is horrifying—no offense—They'll freak. Then, tomorrow, Malcolm will call with an offer, and they'll sell."

*Thanks for reading. Do you think they'll be able to scare Jin's parents into selling or will something go wrong? As always, please don't forget to vote. Thanks.