Chapter 27-The Visitor

My mind races with possibilities as I stare in shock at Maeve's car. Holy shit. She's not trying to check me into it like my mom—right?

"This proves it!" Jin yells, his persona taking a legit one-eighty.

"Do you think she's trying to get me committed?" I ask, horrified.

"She wouldn't? Why?"

Jin and I lock eyes, and without even speaking, we both scramble out of the car to head towards the building.

"Act normal!" I say, watching Jin crouching down between every car.

"Are you seriously telling me to act normal?" Jin says, grabbing my arm and pulling me down to crouch beside him. "Maeve might see us! Look," he says, pointing inside the building. "I can see her sitting right there."

Sure as shit, I see Maeve sitting impatiently, red hair and all.

"Okay, okay!" I say, and continue crouching along with Jin.

"Here," Jin says, taking his baseball cap off his head to shove all my messy hair up inside it.

"What the hell is the plan here?"

"You're going to wait here," Jin says, as his hand gently brushes the last of my falling curls upwards, before slowly dropping it, realizing he's lingering.

"And you?" I ask, looking down before he can notice my face flush red.

"I'm going to distract her."

"How?"

"I'm going to tell her you're in trouble, and she needs to go home. Will it work?"

"You mention my name and trouble, and she'll flip. Of course, it will work."

"Right arm," Jin says, smirking back to calm my nerves. "When she leaves, head in and try to find out what she was doing in there."

"Okay," I say, as Jin and I head inside, one after the other.

Not knowing how exactly to be incognito, I enter the building and instantly run into a plant. I knew I should have played more Call of Duty with Jaxson. Thankfully, Maeve doesn't notice because Jin's running towards her. I find the farthest chair and awkwardly sit with my legs and body pointed as far away as possible, listening to the commotion unfold.

Soon, I can see Maeve rushing out the doors cursing to herself, with Jin following behind her. Holy shit. It's working. Maeve is leaving. Jin's getting really good at this whole acting thing. He's not acting when he's with me, right? I don't have time to worry about that right now. I need to focus.

"Shamrock?" A voice calls from the counter. Shit. What am I going to do? Wait a second. I take off Jin's hand, releasing my red waves, and hurry up to the countertop.

"Shamrock?" An old man asks from behind his glasses, looking me up and down.

"Yup..yes," I say, trying to channel my inner bitch to sound more like Maeve.

"Here's your ID back," he says, giving the license a double-take before handing it to me. "Here's the patient's belongings you asked for," the man works hard to set a box on the counter. "Took you three years to come to get them." The man murmurs under his breath.

That was too easy. I try not to let my face show just my disbelief. I never thought I'd be thankful to look identical to Maeve.

"I need you to sign for them," he says.

"Of course," I say, raising my voice as my nervous hand reaches for a pen.

Wait a second.

"Can I also have her medical records?"

The man peers back up at me with raised eyebrows. "Electronic or the physical copy?" Either way, you'll need to sign this form," he says, his weak wrists setting another paper down in front of me.

"Physical, please. Thanks."

"You want to see her visitor logs as well?" Mr. nosey asks with a judgy look, obviously trying to point out that I—I mean Maeve—is a terrible daughter. Well, I already knew that.

"That won't be necessary," I say again in my high-pitched Maeve voice as I hand back the form.

"Holy buckets!" the man exclaims, adjusting his glasses at something on the computer.

"What?!" I ask, a little too jumpy.

"It says here your mom was visited by Malcolm McMervin. Oh my Lanta!"

"I'm sorry, but what?!"

"Alvin McMurvin, don't you know The Mystical Master McMurvin? From the nineties..."

I search my mind, but nothing comes up. Just act natural.

"Oh yes, of course," I say, tapping anxiously on the table.

"Is he a relative? My lord, how did I miss his visit? Let's see a Sunday—well darn! Martha and her Sunday church brunches," the man grumbles, with a huge grin beaming as he returns from a file cabinet with a manilla file folder, the name Shamrock written across it.

"What was the date of the visit?"

"Says here on her online portal that it was Sunday, November 4, 2015."

"My mom died on November second"... Act normal.

"Oh my..." the man begins, looking me up and down again.

Shit. I need to get out of there fast. "Well, here you go," he says, cautiously sliding the folder my way.

"Thanks," I say, grabbing the box and folder and basically speed walking out the front door.

Once in the parking lot, Jin pulls the car around, I open the door and jump in.

"OH MY GOD!" I say, gripping the box in my hands. "I can't believe I pulled that off!"

"What is all that?!"

"Maeve was just getting my mom's crap. What a shitty daughter, who the hell waits three years to pick up your dead mom's stuff?!"

"At least she wasn't trying to check you in! But why Maeve would need now? What do you think is in there?" Jin asks, his face twisting in curiosity.

"I have no clue," I say as my hands rummage through the box. "But, I got her medical records too, just in case we need them."

"Right arm," Jin says, sending over another tension-diffusing smile before pulling over in the next turn off.

"Hey," I ask as I pull seemingly unimportant clothes from the box. "Ever heard of Mystical Master McMervin?"

"No, why?" Jin asks parking and pulling out his phone.

"The guy said he was my mom's only visitor, and he mentioned he was famous."

"Hold on..." Jin begins typing away. I watch as his fingers scroll. "Vel..."

"What!?" I ask, grabbing the phone from him.

As my eyes meet the screen, I see a man dressed in a black velvet suit, standing by a giant grandfather clock, holding a gazing ball. But, that's not all I notice—his smile. It's Jaxson's smile, Maeve's smile, and my smile.

"It said he was a famous psychic astrologer in the nineties. He had his own TV show and everything. He kind of looks..."

Jin doesn't have to finish his sentence. I already know.

"He looks like me."

*I hope you guys are still enjoying my story. Don't forget to vote!

Question for readers: Do you think this mysterious Malcolm McMurvin is?