Chapter 41-Phony-baloney

I try to process the words as they come out of Malcolm's mouth.

"I'm sorry," Malcolm says, standing to place his hand back on the doorknob.

"You did this to Vel! You tied her soul to the house in the first place! How can you just leave here to die?!" Jin demands.

Malcolm only shakes his head in response.

"If you did it once, then what are you so afraid of!" Jin yells.

"It goes against nature, against the spiritual code! I just can't."

"BUT, you already DID!" Jin demands.

Honestly, I expected this—why would he care now if he hasn't cared about me for the past sixteen years. "Just tell us how to split and tie someone's soul," I say.

Malcolm sighs as Jaxson moves to stop him from opening the door yet again. "Your soul is already split."

It what? "How?" I ask.

"It split when Maeve sold the house. That's why your soul has been trying to reconnect the tie."

"Perfect, what's next!" Jin chimes in.

I wouldn't say my soul being split is perfect, but whatever.

"You need to tie your soul to something else."

"Then tell us how to tie it, and we will do it!" Jin demands.

"Impossible. None of you could. No amateur could tie someone's soul to something else without being highly aware and in tune with the spiritual world."

"If an idiot like you can do it, then this nerd sure as shit can!" Jaxson demands, pointing to Jin.

"Don't be ridiculous!" Malcolm scoffs as I watch little beads of sweat form on his head as his hand shakes against the doorknob.

This just doesn't add up. Why is Malcolm so desperate to leave? Especially now?

"Oh my God," I say as it hits me—it's not what he won't do it, he can't do it. "You aren't in tune with the spirit world!"

"That is outrageous!" Malcolm says, sticking his chest out like a ruffled peacock.

He has a strong poker face, but I know from years of watching Maeve's poker face how to make even the strongest player fold.

"When we first got here, you said you needed to consult the spirit world, but you came back with no answers. You had to use a freaking ouija board to get answers! You don't know shit!"

"How dare you! You all witnessed my hypnosis techniques!"

The beads of sweat begin to overtake Malcolm's forehead and fall into his shifting eyes.

"She's right! Anyone can learn to do hypnosis," Jin interrupts. "I could google it right now to find endless youtube videos about it. It don't mean you have some mystical connection to a spiritual world," Jin says, shaking his head. "That's why he wanted us to sign these nondisclosure agreements! He didn't want it getting out that he's a FAKE!"

"How dare—"

"You're a phony-baloney!" I yell as the built-up anger inside finds a way out.

Oh, my God. Laughter takes over me. I'm completely screwed. I, Vel Shamrock, who grew up with an illusionist, fell for the tricks of illusions. The irony! How had I forgotten that my own life was destined to be plagued with irony?

"Was the ouija board even real?" I ask, my laughter coming to a close.

Jaxson reaches for my hand as my voice cracks. Malcolm falls quiet and shuffles his feet. I already have my answer—just another trick.

I look around to see Jin, Jaxson, Rina, and Maverick all circling the door, ready to pounce on Malcolm if I give the word. And as I see their sad faces, it hits me. If Malcolm is full of bullshit, if he can't tie a soul to anything, then what the hell is happening to me?!

"Red Velvet Theory. Is it true?" I ask.

"Yes, it's true! How else do you explain your Red Lady!" Malcolm insists.

"I don't know what to believe anymore..."

Malcolm's eyes shoot around at all the angry faces staring back at him. "Look," he begins rubbing his forehead in agitation. "It's true. All of it is true, Antares, the summoning gone wrong, the subsequent curse, it's all true. It's just..."

"JUST WHAT!" Everyone seems to yell at the same time.

"It's just...it was your mother who had the spiritual connection necessary to do it...not me."

Wow. It all makes sense now. Somehow I always knew my mom wasn't crazy. It all adds up, her connection with the trees, her ranting to birds, how she would listen to the wind. All the things that made her seem crazy was really just her gift.

"The subsequent curse?" I ask, remembering Malcolm's wording.

Malcolm looks down, breathing heavily as he explains. "Just because I'm not in touch with the spiritual world doesn't mean I don't know it like the back of my hand. I still am Master Malcolm, and I still know all the secrets to the spiritual world—"

"Just answer the question!" I say, turning my face away. I can't even with this guy anymore.

Malcolm sighs and continues, "I was telling the truth when I said it's unnatural to tie someone's soul to something. It doesn't go unforgiven. That's why your mom got sick. She didn't have schizophrenia. She was cursed."

Holy shit, somehow, it all makes sense. I knew she wasn't crazy!

"Wait a second," Jin says, interrupting my epiphany. "If Red Velvet Theory is true, does that mean Vel's Mom was the one who did this to Vel?"

"I didn't lie about that. It was an accident. The summoning spell did backfire because of Antares being at its full spectrum, but..." Malcolm's voice drops off as shame enters his face. "It was River who cast the summoning spell, not me."

*Thanks for reading. Don't forget to vote!