Chapter 44-Goodbyes

"You what?" I ask.

"Mom," Jaxson says, walking over to Maeve. "I don't think you understand."

"I understand that this is my fault," Maeve says, letting Jaxson come in for a hug.

"Maeve," Malcolm interrupts. "Have you opened yourself up to the spiritual world?"

"Oh God," Maeve gulps, putting her hands on her hips, breathing out in disgust. "Don't say that."

"It's a beautiful gift. I would have raised you to be proud of your gift and showed the whole world if only your mother had allowed it—"

"Huh?" Maeve says, her disgust melting into interest.

"He uhh wanted to be a part of your life," I say with a shrug.

It low key hurts to say those words to Maeve, knowing they aren't true for me. Malcolm didn't want me—I was a mistake. I can tell by the way Malcolm looks at Maeve that she's special to him. Me, on the other hand, I'm a burden.

"It's very nice to meet you again," Malcolm says softly, extending his hand to Maeve.

Maeve's eyes shift in thought, and then she carefully extends her hand back.

"I'm not sure what it means," Maeve says after their hands complete a slow handshake. She turns to walk back towards the kitchen, looking up and down the walls. "But, I'm getting this overwhelming feeling."

"Yes," Malcolm says, his eyes lighting up. "Listen to the feeling!"

"Not that I believe in any of this!" Maeve adds, turning to shake an unsteady finger.

Malcolm watches Maeve pace as if watching a baby walk for the first time.

"Vel, what exactly is happening to you?" Maeve turns to ask me.

"Well," I begin, trying to decide how to encapsulate this whole insane situation best. "Ever since Jin's family has moved into HillCrest house, Red Lady, aka my inner soul demon, has come here to terrorize the house and everyone in it."

Maeve's face is just as I imagined it would be—totally lost.

"Vel's soul was accidentally tied to this house by her mom. And the connection was broken when you sold the house. Now, Vel needs her soul to find a new home, or else she'll just continue doing this," Jin says, lifting his arms to emphasize all the damage.

"Or worse," Jaxson says.

"The renovations the Caldwells are making," Maeve says, her hands running along the walls, "The renovations are making you sick, aren't they?"

"Yes. Well, they were, and then Maverick started fixing the floorboards, and Rina did some wallpaper bullshit, and honestly, now I feel better..."

"Maverick? The other boy you're dating?"

Oh God, not this again.

"No!" I demand, as Jin's eyes get narrow and all pissed looking while Jaxson pretends to gag.

"Look, Vel's soul needs to be tied to something else, but the only problem is what?" Jin says, getting the conversation back on track.

"The only problem?!" Jaxson demands. "What about the curse?"

"Yes," Malcolm says, gritting his teeth, "There's that."

"It's why Mom got sick, isn't it? Whatever she did to you, it made her sick..." Maeve says, her eyes filling with ghosts.

"Yes," I whisper as Jin grabs my hand, giving it a tight squeeze.

Mave continues to pace around again, this time cursing under her breath. "Okay, then, Mom got another what thirteen years before the so-called curse killed her? You two will be old enough to take care of Silas by then..."