Changes

***BIG NEWS*** There will be a sequel to this book that tells the story of Xavier and Lyla before and after the Cordelia conflict. It will how they came to be and what happens to them after. More information to come soon.

I hope everyone is staying safe during these uncertain times. I'm always here. Much love, Tris.

Diana's paws pounded against the snow as she galloped her way to her destination. Although Autumn is her favorite time of year to enjoy the outdoors, winter was a close second. The way the snow hung off the tree branches and the frozen lake glimmered under the sun was mesmerizing. The bite of the cold did not bother her at all because she had a thick fur coat to encase her. Even in human form, she had a high tolerance to the temperature. When Diana finally arrived at her destination she shifted and quickly changed into the clothes she brought with her.

She looked down at her feet where the large stone that weighed down her life lay. The stone was overtaken with grass and what was left of the wildflowers, but the words remained clearly visible.

In loving memory of Aurora Sage and Jasper Eugene Ravenwood

Selfless leaders, valiant warriors, and loving parents

May your souls lay with the Goddess above

Etched into the stone were just a few words to describe her parents but it barely scratched the surface of how remarkable they were. Fond memories flooded her mind like a supercut video. Just snippets of moments like mom and dad sending her off on her first day of school, dad's first sparring session with her, and mom reading her bedtime stories.

"Diana, my little pup, I will always love you no matter what. You are forever my precious baby girl." She would say to me before bed every night. Even when I was a teenager and I just rolled my eyes because I was "grown-up" and not a baby anymore. I would move mountains just to hear her say those words to me one more time.

Dad swung his gloved fist toward me but I expertly blocked it and landed a hit on his stomach. "Mercy! Mercy, Diana!" He bent over to catch his breath and regain what was left of his dignity.

"Oh come on dad! I didn't even hit you that hard!" I argued back with amusement in my voice."

"Hun' I'm afraid you're getting better at this than your old man okay? I've taught you too well. Now help you father up and since you won, you get to pick the movie tonight." I did just as he asked, and he wrapped a protective arm around my shoulders and pulled me close.

Diana was brought back from her memories to be faced with the haunting headstone. She knelt down to the ground and got comfortable.

"Hey mama, hey dad. I know it's been a while since I've come to visit..." Diana took in a shaking breath. Her heart was breaking all over again, but she needed to do this. Tears began to move their way down her pale cheeks, "I have a lot to tell you, actually. I finally met my mate. His name is Malakai and he's a witch, but don't worry because witches are actually pretty cool, except for the dark ones of course." She laughed at the thought of her father's shocked face if she had gotten to tell him in person.

"He is the kindest, most understanding, and intelligent person I have ever had the privilege of knowing. He has really made me a softie though, which I'm not entirely thrilled about," she laughed once more, "we are actually engaged now which is crazy, but he wants to be united in every way possible and I do too. As long as I don't have to wear a god-awful Cinderella gown and heals all night, I'll be happy. I wish you could meet him.

"I miss you both so much. I wish I could hold you one more time." The damn broke and her tears ran without abandon. Her chest shook with the severity of her sobs.

So much has changed since her parents died. So many things have happened not only to her but the pack too. She especially has grown as a person. Diana was baffled that only a few months ago she was hissing at Kai for wanting to pursue things with her. She told him she had to focus on her pack, and now look at her. She used to be so foreign to affection from anyone other than her parents and she didn't mind. The less people that she loved, the less she would be hurt. She woke up before the sun, exercised, did her job and not much else, but now...she slept in to enjoy a couple of extra hours in Kai's arms and she has a future. Her life has meaning.

Diana never believed something like this would happen to her. She thought she would be too cold for anyone to love her, but she got lucky. Perhaps going against the odds was just what she needed.