Joking

"You've never seen the bakery right?" I ask Greg, trying to recall if he ever made it to the grand opening. 

"No, but you've sent me pictures before," he replies from the backseat. 

"How long have you been opened?" Bea asks. 

"Over a year now. Maybe a year and a half even," I correct myself as I reply. 

Vincent's hand is rested on my stomach. No matter how long the car rides are, he always try to hold up his arm at all times lately. I wonder if it ever gets tired. 

"You know it's safer to drive with both hands right?" I grin, trying to place him hand back on the wheel. He resists, just enough for me to give up but not too much that it'll send his hand flying into my belly. 

"I'm a good driver," he insists. 

"You guys are so sweet," Bea tells us, leaning forward from her seat. "You guys are like the couples in the movies, only real." 

"Not really," I shake my head. "We have our arguments and problems too." 

"Woah," Bea suddenly gasps as Vincent parks in front of the shop. "You never mentioned it was turtle themed!" 

"Oh, yes. I dedicated it to Wilbur and Charlotte." 

"Oh, the turtles you have at your house?" 

"Yep." 

"How sweet," she says excitedly, rushing to unbuckle her belt and hopping out of the car. 

I reach into my purse and fumble around for the keys until I realize that Luke was already inside the shop. He always got in early. As he invites Bea in and Vincent follows, I wait for Greg, who is taking his time removing himself from the car. 

"How does it look in person?" I ask him, excitedly looking back and forth between the large signage and Greg's face. 

"Like a bakery," he flatly replies. 

"Well because it is one," I awkwardly laugh, unsure how to continue with such a reply. I pause while picking at my thumb before speaking again. "We should probably go inside." 

I walk inside, but Greg waits until the door closes behind me before he makes his way towards it. 

"What's this?" Bea asks Luke, pointing at one of the cakes in the display cake. 

"A crepe cake. Want a slice?" he asks, though he already anticipated her answer and begins to grab the tongs. 

"Yes, thank you," she smiles. While Luke plates the cake, Bea continues to browse our selection of baked goods on the shelves. "What do you want to try, Grayson? I'll get it for you."

"I'm not hungry," he flatly says once more, sitting at the furthest, corner table. 

I feel the air thicken around me, making my chest feel tight. My stomach feels full...too full...like it was going to drop down to my feet. I didn't feel hungry either. 

The rest of the day felt so blurred and heavy. I don't remember what we did. We went places and then got home. We ate...something... We... We... We... Who are 'we'?  It felt like it was just us three. Where was Greg? He was with us the entire day, yet he wasn't. Now I was sitting in the guestroom with Bea. 

"So, tell me about Grayson when he was in high school," Bea grins. 

"Well, obviously he was very popular, being a movie star and all. I think he was still considered a rising star at the time, so it wasn't anywhere close to as crazy as it is now. We did work at the ice cream shop at a mall, and my boss used him as a marketing tactic. He didn't seem to mind, but lots of girls tried to talk to him for sure."