Chapter 4

Salem POV

"Mama." (y/n) said, "What's wrong sweetheart?" I asked, "Fluffy bad." He said, "Fluffy bad? What did he do?" I asked as he grabbed my hand and led me away.

"Bad." (y/n) said as he pointed a big pile of poop, "Hugh I didn't think grimm pooped." I said, "Mama not mad?" He asked, "Oh no I'm very upset, but I've learned these things tend to happen. I mean just think of how many times this happened when I was housebreaking Cinder." I said, "Oh that takes me back. It's been what thirteen, fourteen years now at least." I said.

Flashback several years ago Salem POV

One day I was bored, more bored than I had been in a long long time. I decided to go out on a walk. I walked until I reached the farthest part of my territory, I ended up in a place called the Forbidden Forest. It wasn't hard to figure out why it was named this. It was on the edge of the furthest part of my territory so it was infested with all sorts of grimm and the further into the forest I went the stronger the grimm I encountered. Eventually, I came across a little girl who couldn't've been any older than four or five years old at most. "What are you doing here child?" I asked she didn't answer, "You will answer me, child." I said, "No." the little girl said as she created several large glass spikes around me, I just smiled and walked into the spikes, "Tell me, child, what is it that you desire." I asked she retracted the spikes from my body, "I want to be strong. Strong enough to escape this hell I was born into." She said as she said this I smiled. "I will give you the strength you desire. However, in return, I ask for your absolute loyalty." I said, "Yes, my mistress." She said, "I am Salem. Who are you?" I asked, "Cinder, Cinder Elisabeth." Cinder said, "Well Cinder I believe you have a choice to make. You may stay here in the hell you know, or you may come with me and suffer through an entirely new hell, a hell worse than anything you could imagine. But if you choose to come with me I promise you that you will become stronger than you ever thought possible." I said, "Please Lady Salem, please let me come with you!" Cinder said making me smile, "If you join me then you cannot have any attachments to your old life and what little shreds of light there still are." I said, "I was hoping you'd say that." She said.

Cinder took me back to her village and one by one she slaughtered every last one of them, "Let's go Cinder we have a long...", "No. There's still one more person left. This one's special, I did all this just for her." She said, "Very well we shall stay just a while longer, but Cinder you will not speak to me like that ever again do I make myself clear." I said, "Yes my lady, I'm sorry." She said. 

After a while, we arrived at a house. I heard lots of shouting coming from inside and then Cinder destroyed the wall revealing the corpses she made, 'I see so this was to instill as much fear into her target as she can. She has potential. But she's only acting this way out of anger.' I thought, "Then I'll break her and revert her to a near infantile state and raise her to her fullest potential." I said before Cinder walked out of the house, "Come Cinder we have work to do." I said, "Yes my lady." Cinder said as we left. "Cinder from this day on you are no longer Cinder Elisabeth, from this day forward you shall be known as Cinder Fall to commemorate your fall from grace." I said.

I took Cinder back to the Castle, "Cinder it's time to begin your training." I said, "Who do I kill first?" Cinder asked, "No one. You will not kill anyone without permission. To begin your training I will break you just enough to mold you properly." I said as I summoned multiple shadow hands and made each one grab her and then I shrouded her in darkness. "This dark sphere will create an illusion of an endless dark void. I think a week in there will suffice." I said as I walked away.

A week later I returned to see if Cinder's mind was broken yet, "L...La...Lady S...Salem." Cinder said, "It would seem I was slightly mistaken. Eat this." I said as I handed her a tray of food, she ate it quickly, and soon after she threw up, "Eat it more slowly, I did not bring you here to die, but I will not stop you from dying again." I said as she began to eat again."Good." I said and once she finished eating I restrained her and shrouded her in darkness once again, "Another week would kill you, so three and a half days should be just enough time." I said as I left.

After three and a half days had passed I released Cinder and once I did the once vibrant hateful flame that was in her eyes had been completely extinguished and then she collapsed to her knees and wet herself. "She's perfect." I said as she looked up at me, "M...Mama?" She said I slapped her, "I am not your mother Cinder. I am your master and you will not mistake me for anything else. Do not mistake my mercy and kindness for love and affection. I see you as nothing more than a tool meant to achieve my goals." I said as I picked her up, "However I will care for you. Over the years I have learned that fear and hatred, while effective motivators, do not make for lasting loyalty, and eventually, they will come back and try to betray you. However, love, admiration, and benevolence make others want to follow you and I have mastered these." I said as I carried her to the bath.

For years I trained and cared for her. I was tough on her when training her and stern when she had an accident. In a way, I had become her mother but I refused to accept her as my daughter. She was not worthy to be considered my daughter yet.

End flashback Salem POV

"I suppose cleaning up a mess like this again makes me remember the good old days." I said, "L...Lady Salem please put me down." Cinder said, "Mama." (y/n) said as he tugged on my dress, "Oh my." I said.