16: Hero Killer Stain

Tanjirou POV

Breath of Water, First Form: Surface Slice!

The demon's head dropped to the ground.

"Are you ok ma'am?" I ask, helping the woman who was just attacked by the demon.

She shakily takes my hand. Her eyes are filled with fear. She'll probably need some time to recover.

"Y...yes....th-thank you...." She still doesn't look at me. She's still shaken up.

I know I can't stay in the same place for too long. There might be other demons roaming around and attacking citizens. I carefully lead the woman out of the alley and look around. I spot a police man leading citizens away from the explosions and I call out to him.

"Excuse me!" I yell, catching the police man's attention. He turns around and runs towards us. "I found another civilian." I say as he approaches.

"Ok, thank you." He puts his hand on the woman's shoulders to check her condition. "Are you a pro hero?" He asks, eying me with suspicion.

I don't really know what to say. I don't think he has any information about us Demon Hunters. If I say I'm not, he's going to force to me evacuate with the rest. So instead I nod. He nods back at me and leads the woman away.

I turn back towards the alleyway I just came from. My hair and haori are pulled back by the wind as I travel. I sniff the air. It smells burned, smokey and crispy. I don't smell any other demons close by, but somehow I manage to catch a whiff of three other familiar scents. They're not demons, but humans. I'm not close enough to distinct them, so I follow it. Turning and running into different alleys and different corners.

The closer I get to where the scents are coming from, the more easily it is to tell who is who. I smell Midoriya-kun, Iida-kun, Todoroki-kun, and two others I'm unfamiliar with.

Finally, I turn one last time to the right and see a large alley way covered in ice. I see Iida and Midoriya-kun on the ground immobile, as well as another man leaning against the building wall, I'm assuming another pro hero. Then I see Todoroki-kun with flames bursting from his left side facing a man with a red bandana and a beige mask. It's the same man we saw on the news the night before.

Hero Killer Stain.

I run towards the unconscious pro hero who is closest to me and check his pulse. He's bloody and has multiple cuts and bruises, but thankfully he's still breathing. The other three heroes-in-training haven't noticed me yet due to all the chaos.

"Iida-kun! Midoriya-kun!" I call out to them. Making sure my voice is loud enough for them to hear me but quiet enough so that I don't distract Todoroki-kun.

"Tanjirou-kun? Is that you?"

The two seem to notice me but struggle to turn their heads to face me. So I creep toward them, putting myself in both of their field of view.

"Are you guys ok?" I ask. The answer is obvious but it wouldn't hurt to ask if there were any other troubles. "Why aren't you moving?"

"It's the hero killer's quirk. We can't move!" Midoriya-kun informs me, still hunched in a kneeling position.

"Damn it....stop! This is my problem! I don't need you guys to get dragged into this!" Iida-kun looks at us with pleading eyes. He's almost on the brink of tears from grief and guilt of not being able to live up to 'Ingenium's' name. "I inherited my brother's name! I'm the one who has to deal with it!" He yells with what strength he has.

Todoroki-kun, still fighting Stain doesn't look back at him but still responds, "you inherited it? That's funny." He says.

Todoroki stomps his left leg into the pavement and giant crystals of ice pierce the air, causing the Hero Killer to jump back in defence.