4:let the dread in

[ A/N: This chapter will be partly be written in the perspective of some of X's diary entries from their teenage years, continuing from where we'd left off in the second chapter. ]
X had skimmed through the beginning, flipping somewhere into the middle of the little worn down pink book.

August 19

I don't think I like Nine.

X's heart dropped as they stared at the page, sprawling a hand to the side of their face..

Nine says mean things to me, a lot. Eight tells her not to. She tells me it's not her fault. Tells me she just doesn't understand. It seemed reasonable, but nobodies mean for no reason, right? What if she's just trying to make Eight think that. I don't know. I only see the negative. I don't like her. She's nice to Four. How come she makes fun of me all the time? Whenever she says something to four he just laughs. Am I just a baby?

- X

They sighed into their palm. They were young, but so, so dumb.. Easy to think that was so long ago, but then again, X blocked most of their memory out from then. They flip the page, narrowing their eyes..

August 21st.

Four really tries his best to make me happy. I guess you could say I am, but i've been feeling angry. Really, really angry. I think it's because of what Nine says to me. I don't know what to do. I really, really don't like her. I normally don't feel this way about anyone, but being around her makes me so mad. I wish it wasn't like this. I should know when she says mean things it's not her fault. It just makes me feel.. angry. It's hard to describe. I don't know. The only person I like the best is Four.

- X

Flip.

August 24th.
I wish she'd stay away from me.

Flip.

August 27th.
I don't understand why anyone would want to be her friend.

Flip.

August 29th.
I pity Eight.

Flip.
Flip. Flip. Flip.
X kept skimming through the pages, shaking a little and trying to keep themself from shedding tears.
They start to flip to the next page-

" Ello, X! " Two threw open the jawbreaker X had been sitting in. X, startled, quickly shoved the book aside nervously, looking back at Two.
" oH. HI TWO. " X panicked, book behind their back. Two payed no mind of it, smiling and gesturing a hand.

" Check out what I just made! It's like, a slingshot tournament! Gosh, aren't I cool? " Two snickered into their hand and X stared back blankly, glad they hadn't suspected anything of them.

" O-Oh. Maybe later- i'm. Kind of in the middle of something, and all. " They'd twiddle their hands together.

Two cheerily turned a little. " Aw! Well, you can see it whenever you come back out! Talk to you soon, chap! " The green number waved with a smile and dropped the jawbreaker's shell, X sighing in relief and laying down flat in the black, charred grass.

They looked back over at the book, picking it up again and thumbling for their place, humming a little and trying not to think about the sense of dread overcoming them as they flipped through the small diary- they froze up, staring at the page they opened up on. The once neat handwriting had devolved into frantic scribbles on this page, various tearstains smudging the ink.

SEPT EMBER 2ND.
I DID A REALLY BAD THING TODAY.

And as just as X read the page, it all started to come back to them. It was hard for them to breathe- they blocked all of this shit out for a reason- and now that it's back, they remembered why they wanted to push it back so so very much.

A war began to clash in their mind.
If everything is coming back now..

Then this is must be only the beginning..

X well remembered the horrible, no good, very bad thing they did, all at once. That's around the same point in time something clicked in their brain.

X can hear them.

[ A/N: Hi again! Just wanted to take the time to say thank you for voting. Next chapter will be the one detailing what was on the page in more of a 3rd person perspective flashback type deal, stay tuned for that. Thanks again for reading thus far! :) ]