7:consulting the librarian

..

" Can I help you? "
One's voice was delicate, but that wasn't much of a shocker to anyone as they were the librarian. It was practically their job to stay quiet.

X stared back, nervously twiddling their hands on the counter. At all odds, this couldn't go well. This wouldn't go well. This, was a confession. A confession to a very bad thing; but.
One was the first person they thought to turn to. The smell of old books resonated within the old library, the sun peering through the window and cascading onto the dusty shelves. Rays of light shined on both of their colorful faces, as X formulated the words to say back in their mind.

One was easily one of the- if not THE smartest of them, X thought. One would understand. One would listen.
And One would have to make a choice.

".. Hi. One. Uh. Do you.. remember, "

One blinked, leaning forward in their chair.
".. This isn't related to the library, is it?"

X looked off to the side.
" N-No, "
One stood.
" You should start covering your eyes. Come. " They beckoned a hand, and X realized what they'd meant by that. Panicked, X would rub the symbols out of his eyes. Did One know?
Could. Could One make it stop?

The variable followed the pale indigo number down the dusty hallway, columns and windows lined about the ceiling.
One looked back a little at X for a moment, before briefly flashing them a sly smile as they'd twist the doorknob.
That made X feel a little queasy for one reason or another, and they tried very hard not to think about it as the two entered the small office. It was kept tidy, a few bookshelves here and there.

Their desk was off to one side of the room, a red carpet filling out most of the floor. A red couch sat near the windows, aswell as a nearby table with two empty teacups. The office itself felt comfortable. Safe. X, however, with their current situation ( and former friends voices ringing in their ears ) felt very little sense of security, in general.

One sits.
" Let's get one thing out of the way, X. "
They lean forward at the table, organizing papers nonchalantly. X nervously stepped over, taking a seat and scooting close to the desk.

The indigo number turned back to their guest, thumbling a hand over the side of desk. " If I wanted you locked up, I could've told everyone about what you did all those years ago. But, I haven't. "

X froze in place, petrified.

One rested an arm on the table.
" It may be harmful of me, sure. I'm compromising something big. Maybe Eight still thinks that brat who ran around with her is still alive. But- i've been waiting for THIS day, X. You have no idea. " One smiled, leaning further and looking X in the eye. X is still frozen, not sure what One's getting at.

" I'm not going to blackmail you, if. Uhm. That's what that little look on your face means. Ahem. " One looked aside. " Truth be told, you've caught my interest, X. "

X's cheeks lit up a little. One QUICKLY waved an arm. " AS IN. As in, my.. biological interest. That doesn't sound much better. Uh. Ignore that, just- " One coughs. "As a variable, you have so many possibilities. You can be anything, yeah? "

X spoke up for the first time, still nervous. " I-I. Think. So. "

One smiles, " I speculate that you have infinite power, X. " He stares.
" Something out of your control. I'd- be happy to help you with your.. eye, predicament. If you help me with my research. "

.. X's eyes lit up. " Y-You don't think any less of me, One? Even when. When. "

One sighed.
"I don't think you consciously tried to do the things you did. I think your powers lie dormant unless under a certain amount of emotion-.. Tell me, X. Have you felt any kind of stress, lately?"

X rubbed their chin.
" Well. I guess. Uhnm. The shift in hosting has been really stressful. "

One excitedly scooted in their chair.
" Fascinating. Well. I think this settles it, X. " They reached out a hand.

" Partners? "

X smiled weakly, reaching for the palm and giving it a swift shake.
" Sure. Partners. "

One could use the company anyway, X thought. Even if this seems. Professional, in a way. Whatever.
X had a friend who'd listen, and help.
That's all that counted, for now.

_________________

" It's just a little get-together! Nothing too fancy- just, uhm. Try and look nice, okay? " Five chipperly looked back at Eight, several envelopes piled in one arm as they used their one free hand to hold out an invitation to the grey number.

Eight furrowed a brow in suspicion at their magenta friend. " What's that supposed to mean. " Five would wince at her tone in the slightest. No less, they smile back and start up again,

" Oh! Uh. Just. Y'know. Haha. I just wanted you to be.. less. Bitter. Looking. Not that I think you're BITTER, I just, "
Five nervously waved their hands.

Eight rolled their eyes.
" I'll think about it. No promises. "

Five blinked. " Woah, really? "

She looks away. " I. I said no promises. "

" Oh, Eight, i'm really glad! " Five jumped around a little. Eight couldn't see how they could amuse themself with something so.. so utterly simple. No less, Eight sighed.
".. Mhm. I. I'll try my best. "

Five turned, starting to bound for the next person they'd give an envelope to.
" THANKS EIGHT!!! BYE!!! YOU SMELL REALLY GOOD!!! "

.

Eight blinked. What.

What did she just say.