11: the evening prior

The night settled in above the two numbers, whom found themselves on a hill. Eight and Five, ever since Nine's disappearance had made sort of an unspoken ritual to come here on particular nights that would come before a special occasion or a big day ahead. Some nights they'd destress and talk over their plans or current struggles. No matter what they did, Five looked forward to it each time.

The grey number glanced up at the crescent moon, quiet. Five adjusted a worn scarf tucked safely around their neck, watching Eight.
" Chilly tonight, isn't it? " Five says, smiling a little and holding their knees.

" Mm. " Eight barely looked back, responding coldly. " Guess so. "

Five just kept watching, thumbling her hands together. " Hey, uh. Eight? "

Eight doesn't reply, only nodding for her to continue as she'd eye the vacant sky and all the stars that came with it.

".. I'm glad we're friends. " They say, looking down.

Eight looks back at them, finally.

" You say that all the time, y'know. "

" I know. But. I really mean it. "

Eight looks back up.
" Spose i'm glad too, then. "

The two of them sit in silence for a few moments. " Eight. I have an idea of what we should do. " Five says, suddenly.

The other number raised a brow, hardly looking back and responding.
".. Hm? "

Five seems to have trouble putting together her words, clutching at the grass around them.
" Eight- I- "

" Is this about your party tomorrow? "
Eight would interject, squinting.

".. I mean. Not really? I just-.. Eight. How much do you care about me? " Five suddenly asked, clutching their fists.

Eight, taken aback for a moment by the question, looks away. " Enough to be sitting here, I guess. Is something up? "

Five leaned back more, staring pensively at the ground.
" Do you like living here? "
" Sure I do, " Eight mumbled.
" No! No, I mean- really. Do you? "
Five rolls over onto their stomach, smiling lightly at the other number.
Eight chuckled slightly, sitting back.
" What're you going on about? "

Five sighed with a grin, resting a palm to their cheek. " Okay, like. This is purely hypothetical. Buuut. "

" Buut? " Eight replied casually, leaning back further.

" What if we ran away together? "

Eight took a long pause at that.
They sat there, staring at a patch of grass near them and rubbing at their forehead with an arm.
" Ha. Ha. Riiiight. " They'd reply, not quite sure of how they were supposed to awnser that.

" You mean it? " Five suddenly sits up, looking back at them.

" Yeah. Sure. I don't really have anyone else to run off with, do I? " Eight would reply, though not very seriously.

" THEEEN.. Let's go right now!!! " She'd scoot infront of them, smiling brightly.

Eight stared at her in silence. " What. "

" Yeah! Let's go! " Five stared back expectantly, as if they'd agree right away.
" Uhm. Hold on. We can't just leave- " Eight would explain, scooting backward a little and gesturing a hand.
" You have that party tomorrow, dummy. And I still don't have any sort of closure with this place. " They'd say, looking off to the side nervously.
" And where in the world did you get the idea to run away from? " Eight would tilt her head.

".. I was just thinking about it. That's all. " Five would reply, shrugging and leaning back.

The two of them sit in uncomfortable silence for a few moments until Five spoke up again.

".. Eight. About that closure you were talking about. "

" Hm? " Eight replied.

Five looked at her then, a bit more softly than she had before.
" I want to help you. I want.. to help you find Nine. "

Eight's heart would stop.
" What? " They'd breathe.

" I want to help you find her, Eight. " Five says back, looking intently at them. " I want to help you find your closure. "

Eight stared at her, allowing herself a brief second to hope. And then, the doubts come back into her mind.

" You're not serious. " Eight murmured.

Five nods slowly. " I'm serious. "
Eight shook her head, a pained smile forming on her face. " No, no, no. Don't mess with me like that. You don't mean it- "

Five shook her head. " I do! Really. "

Tears stung Eight's eyes.
She'd feel the need to reach out her hands- to hold onto anything. Five pulled her closer. She'd rest her head against her chest.

The wind blowed softly throughout the trees around them, letting off a low rustling sound.

Eight would cling to Five, holding back weak sobs. " Thanks. " Is Eight could really muster at that moment. The other number doesn't reply, only keeping her in a gentle embrace and listening to the wind blow through the trees.

Eight took in her scent. It's the same as ever. The same as whenever she's spent time with her before. There's not a hint of anything different. And yet..

Eight felt a new sense of happiness come over her.

Knowing now, that someone truely believed in her.

And when they had went their seperate ways, neither of them got much sleep that night.