10:heartaches

Two would smile widely,
" Oh, Four! It looks dashing! Really accentuates your hue! " The green number excitedly adjusted the golden bowtie around Four's.. well. If you could call it a neck.
The blue tetrad looked off to the side, tapping their foot." Mhrhrhhm. Whatever that means. "
Two would chuckle gingerly in return, straightening their posture. " Now, I can show you MINE, "

They'd turn around, carefully putting the bowtie on and turning around..
It was red. Very red. It glimmered slightly and sparkled under the light.

" Ah.. it's. Really.. you. " Four commented, looking back at Two for a bit too long.

Two smirked, turning.
" Oh, I know! You think they'll like it? "

" I wouldn't doubt it, considering Five's crowd. " Four leaned back a little, picking at the bowtie around their neck and furrowing a brow.

".. Do you like it? " Two batted their lashes. Four grimaced at the sight.
".. Yes. It. Eh. It stands out. Shiny. " They mumble, earning a wide smile from Two. " Ah, glad to hear that! "

X walked in holding a frilly blue bowtie, and sipping out of a juice box. Two turned a little, looking toward X and gasping and smiling in delight.
" Oh! X! It's so cute! Look at all of the intricate lace, " The brit excitedly walked over to X, palming at the bowtie in their hands while Four just kept to the side, staring at the wall.

They still weren't sure about this at all. Really, they wished they could rip up that little invitation card they got to itty bitty pieces so they wouldn't have to worry about it anymore.
They clutch their arms, staring at the ground with discontentment. Suddenly, they caught sight of the green one walking back over to them.
" Four? Are you quite.. alright? " Two  asks- almost suddenly. ( Atleast, that's what Four thinks. )

" What? "  They reply, a bit softer.

The brit places a hand on Four's shoulder. " Are you alright? You're looking very.. gloomy. "

Four sighs, looking toward the wall, and Two caught on pretty quickly that it was about his repoach toward the party. They'd start to speak up again,
" Four, honestly, it won't be that bad! You need to be more open minde- "

Four just gives a slight ' hmph ' in response, looking at the floor. Two sighs and rubs Four's shoulder gently, as if trying to reassure them.
" Please, Four? I promise, it will be plenty fun! And- if you like, we could dance! "
"..  Dance? " Four perked up slightly.
Two blinked, surprised.
".. Four. Do you know how to dance? "
Four looked off to the side, embarassed. " Sure I do. "
" Like. Ballroom dancing. Something with etiquette. " Two squints at him.
Four blinks.
" Hmrh. No, then. "

Two would smile gingerly, then.
" In that case, I shall teach you! "

Two turned to face the room, holding their hand out for Four to take.
" Come on! "
Four held their breath, reluctantly taking Two's palm, as they lead the two of them to the room's center. They'd reach over, turning on a record.

The gentle, sweet strings of "Heartaches" filled the room.

" See, it's like this, "
Two would begin to gently move his arms, showing Four.
" Just sway, from side to side. "

Four couldn't help but fidget at the contact, trying their best to sway alongside the other number. Though, the thing that made it so terribly hard to focus was the ever enchanting of feeling of the both of their arms wrapped together. Four can't think of any other time that he's been so close to Two before. And what was even more diffcult, was placing the inexplicable feeling rising to his chest.
Four knew one thing, though. They were very happy right now, and they supposed out of anything else-.. that's what counted most.

" Like.. that? " Four tried to sway smoothly and match Two's movements, though admittedly a little nervous.
" Yes, just like that. Now, try to keep up with my feet. " Two would reply, his voice more delicate and wow they were close and it felt like Four could hear every little tone in his voice and he wishes he could keep this moment in a bottle and save it foreve-

As Four got distracted while trying to keep up with Two's footwork, they'd stumble a little. Two would hold on a bit tighter to Four, chuckling softly.
Four tries not to let his heart melt.

" You're doing fine, Four. Let's just go back to swaying for a while, hm? "

Four didn't really speak, just giving a nonverbal little gesture in agreement as it was diffcult to get many words out. He didn't want to ruin this moment with the sound of his voice, of course.

And so with that, Two went around in a circle with Four, going back to gentle sways, the whole time keeping a hold on the small of their back.
" You're doing great, infact. " Two says.

Four can't suppress a smile, that time.

The two of them let the record play out, swaying together for a while.

X payed them no mind, rubbing their forehead and heading into a different room. They'd look around to make sure noone was watching before opening a drawer and quickly taking out their old diary. To be honest, X wasn't all too interested in venturing back into it, not before Five's party. It'd mess em up more than what they've already got themself into. Moreso, they wondered if they should bring it to One.

-.. And One did ask about it, too.

X would recount the memory,

" So, X. How did you recall what had happened, anyhow? Did any item rejog your memory, somehow? I think if we found something similar we could figure out just what happened to Six. " One says, stirring their tea.

X looked down, thumbling their hands together.  " My old diary.. "

One perks up. " Brilliant! You'll have to bring that to me. It'd be nice to have record of some first hand accounts. "

At the time, X blindly agreed to such an offer. But, thinking of it now, they felt a little scared. One and X were considerably friends now, sure. X felt like they could rely on One- but they were never close before. Could they really trust them? Was. Was X being blackmailed? They shake a little, pacing a little faster and death-gripping the diary and feeling the world around them go quiet, and ever-so still.

All that was left for X to distract themself with was the sound of the record player and Four and Two's slight laughter from the next room over.
Those two had no idea. X grimaced, clutching their shoulders together.

Two days until the party.

You can last until then. And then, when you go, it will be fine! Nothing can go wrong. Nothing. Nothing at all.

X thought, to himself.

He feels a slight stillness in his heart as the sounds around him kept echoing.