A Disagreeable Agreement P4

He steps in her space before she realizes, and holds her chin. She's forced to stare in those stormy eyes despite her prime instinct to look away.

"I can teach you about other things as well, Princess," he says with a wicked grin. "Your spirited animosity, paired with this charmingly round face, really makes me look forward to more... intimate settings."

"You--!!"

Her sword-fighting arm raises of its own accord to slap him right across the face. It gets close enough that her fingertips make contact with his cheek, but she isn't able to hear the satisfying sound of her strike. Instead, she stares dumbly at her wrist, captured by a strong, pale hand.

Shinsou Hitoshi glares at her coldly and squeezes her wrist to the point of crushing. "I wouldn't do that if I were you, Princess. He bruises easily," he drawls, with a deep and scary voice.

Monoma rolls his eyes in false annoyance. "Really, Shinsou, it's despicable how you just come out of nowhere. You've disturbed such an invigorating argument with my beloved fiancée."

"My apologies," Shinsou grits out, forcing Ochako's hand down. "You really don't want that hand against your face, your majesty. She's a lot stronger than she looks."

She frowns at the tall lord. She is able to discern that he's a lot more rational than the prince, at least, if not just as disconcerting. "Since we went out of our way to intimidate each other, I thought we agreed about not having our associates close by."

Monoma shrugs. "I did tell you that my steward is required to be near me at all times, treasonous words or not. Don't worry, he won't say anything to anyone that will incriminate either of us."

"And you have been saying too much," Shinsou says tiredly. "I thought you would have at least offered her your deal by now."

"A deal?" Ochako asks suspiciously.

"I was getting to that," the Prince says sourly. Turning to Ochako, he sighs. "Well, Princess, we thought of this deal because it is obvious that we won't fall madly in-love with each other at this rate."

"No kidding," she mutters under her breath, and she hears Shinsou hum in agreement with her.

Monoma ignores her and gesticulates dramatically again. "No matter what happens, my dear, we will have a grand and elaborate wedding with all the necessary things--glitter, glamour, a ten-foot cake, a hundred doves, half a thousand witnesses from all over the country. After which, the way I see it, you have two choices."

Ochako rolls her eyes as he goes into another prolonged monologue again. He really does enjoy hearing himself talk, doesn't he?

He puts two perfectly manicured fingers up as he continues. "The first of it, of course, is I become King and you become Queen, our kingdoms unite and we remain happily married for the rest of our years to come. An heir would be ideal too, to keep you company in the palace. It's the best deal, I think. Your kingdom will be secure, and I get to rule two kingdoms, more if things go according to plan."

She taps her fingers impatiently at her arm. "Really? That's the best deal for you--to give you my territories for you to rule, while I become your quiet little wife at home?"

"Don't forget pretty." His look is diabolical when he speaks again. "You haven't heard your other option, my love. It's not as ideal."

"Please don't call me that."

He shrugs, unaffected. "The other option has to do with the fact that divorces are legal on our jurisdiction."

She raises her eyebrows at that. He laughs again. "Of course that will catch your interest. Well, can't say I'm not offended. Anyway, in this setting, we become king and queen, but only for as long as I need you to. I can't guarantee how long that is, though--my people do clamour for a queen, and I might not get their support in a lot of important campaigns if I let you go very quickly. But after a number of my ambitions are fulfilled, we can go our separate ways--me on my throne, and you in your little spot back here."

"You'd give my land back to me, just like that?"

He nods. "Yes."

She narrows her eyes. "All of it?"

"Yes, all of it." As he gesticulates wildly again, Shinsou looks at her meaningfully, warningly. "Your castle, your fields, your army... your debts. All of it will be given back to you, as it is on the day before we are married."

When she flinches at debts, he laughs. "I tend not to do favors for free, my dear. If it were to come to that, I'm afraid it won't be just your debts plus interest at that point. I would have your kingdom pay back mine for our assistance, as well."

She feels her cheeks flare angrily. "That's... exploitation, and you know it, you... you power-hungry brat!!"

Her body tenses and moves forward on its own accord, a growl escaping from her mouth. She doesn't even know if she means to attempt another hit on his smug person, but Shinsou pulls her back at a safe distance from his prince.

He tuts, shaking a finger at her when she's out of reach. "I much prefer the term purposeful? Strategic? Driven is a good word too."

"Don't forget obnoxious," Shinsou says with a sigh. He releases Ochako from his grip when she calms down somewhat.

Monoma blatantly ignores that slight and approaches Ochako again. His hands are clasped behind him, in a show of non-aggression. "So those are my thoughts, Princess. I hope you're not offended; I simply have goals, and I need you to achieve them. You know... I could have come up with worse deals, but you are interesting to me, so I tried my best to be kind. In the end, the choice is yours to make."

"Those aren't the choices that I want," she mutters, her fists clenched painfully at her sides. "I never asked for any of this."

Monoma hums. "We don't always have a choice now, do we?" He turns and waves at the far end of the garden, where the king and queen begin to approach them, along with their respective guards. "Oh look, everyone's here. Better smile and hold on to me like a good fiancée ought to, Princess."

His arm extended to her feels like a personal insult, but her parents are smiling so brightly at them, so expectantly, like they finally found the answer to all their problems. She sees Midoriya too, genuinely excited seeing her next to the prince, as well as their other subjects. Yaoyorozu and Bakugou are staring at her carefully, waiting for her next move.

She takes a deep breath, takes Prince Neito's arm, and matches his grace when they walk.

She does not smile.