The Tower P4

King Enji wrinkles his nose. "The disguise is more than effective, Hawks. Do you have any evidence of her heritage?"

Hawks nods and holds out his hand in front of Miruko, who wordlessly gives him what was missing from Ochako--the royal seal she's kept hidden in her boot. "Apart from appearance alone, your grace, we found this among her possessions. As well as this short sword that only nobility ought to have."

Enji appraises these items briefly and grunts in approval. "This is sufficient."

"Your highness?"

Cold eyes glare at Ochako, ones that paradoxically burn holes through her bones. She keeps her eyes on him, though, and refuses to back down.

She can't show him that she's afraid, King or not.

"Get her cleaned up and sent up there," he tells Miruko without an ounce of sympathy or hostility in his voice. "Make sure she appears presentable. Give her a fighting chance against him."

Ochako doesn't even get a chance to try to understand all the vague things he's saying when Miruko grimly bows and says, "As you wish, your highness."

With that, Enji turns away from them, Hawks remaining in the room and muttering further reports of things that Ochako can't hear. Miruko grabs her by the elbow and escorts her out of the room.

Again, another long walk through dark hallways that seem to last forever. "Princess."

"Yes?"

In the darkness of the halls, Miruko's red eyes glow with a curious emotion. Her voice is low when she murmurs, not looking at the Princess at her side. "If you wish to survive the night, you have to trust in him. No matter how absurd it may seem. All right?"

Ochako blinks in curiosity. "I don't understand, who are you--"

One ear forms from the side of her head and presses on Ochako's lips, keeping her silent.

"Trust me," Miruko says, just as they reach another unmarked door.

Miruko leads her in, and shows her everything: a four-poster bed, a desk and chair, a dresser, a closet with dresses made in her size. A smaller room leads to a bath, already filled with steaming water and surrounded by bottles of perfumed soaps. A roaring fireplace. A small table, where dinner is already set up. A window with iron bars, from which an evening rain falls beyond.

A pretty little prison, in other words.

"This is all yours, your majesty. Just this room, though," Miruko says with a bow. "The door will be locked once I leave. A protective barrier of magic will also keep you from getting out through the underground exits. I suggest you stay put until..."

She pauses and looks at Ochako with all sorts of pity shining in her eyes. "Shit. This is why I hate doin' this."

Ochako's next inhale is shaky and damp. She obstinately rubs a hand against her eyes, hating them for bursting to tears in front of her. "No. Go on, please."

She doesn't need her pity. Not anyone's.

Miruko, to her credit, really looks like she hates doing this. "Just... don't do anything rash, Princess. I'm tellin' ya this for your own good."

Ochako nods and keeps her mouth shut. That would be what Yaomomo will tell her if she knew she was in this position. Take everything in with all due grace and dignity...

The knight takes note of her silence and turns back without another word. As promised, the door clicks shut behind her. After a beat, she feels pure energy pulse underneath the earth--the barrier that Miruko mentioned, locking all the underground exits.