Chapter 1

Valentino drove his car across the road of Rome on a higher speed than usual, no, it was not because he was an irresponsible driver, it was merely because he was a responsible son. He had received an emergency call from his mother which shocked him quite a bit, he immediately dismissed work and hit the road as soon as possible.

How could this happen?

He parked his car on the hospital's parking area and ran inside, he went straight to the room number given to him earlier and he saw his mother crying in front of the door with his father. Gianluca had been trying to comfort his wife for a while now, he hugged her close to him, she buried her face on his shoulder, and the moment Valentino arrived, he lifted up his face and called his second son's name.

"What happened?" He asked. Gianluca was not sure if it was the right time to talk as his wife might not want to hear the repetition of the incident, but Valentino had a right to know.

"He was driving on the street and and then there was another car headed his way, the driver of the car was drunk and they crashed, the rest is what you could see here."

The amount of car accidents in Rome has indeed risen during the past years for one reason or another, but out of all reasons, drunk driving? Valentino found it extremely ironic, who would have guessed that they had only played darts with each other the previous day and all of a sudden his brother got in an accident. What sort of joke was God trying to play with him?

"The doctor is currently trying to handle him, but it has been five hours, and he had not left the room." Gianluca reported, but just when he said that, the door opened and the doctor exited the room. He removed the mask on his face and his facial expressions showed a great sympathy.

"How is my son doctor?" both Gianluca and Chiara stood up to approach him. The doctor stared at them with a sympathetic gaze. Yes, how many times do doctors practice that look? It was always helpful each time.

"He seems to have hit his head really hard during the accident, there was a minor bleeding on the frontal region of his head, we still have not figured out if it did any damage to his brain. Other than that, he might have gotten some serious impact on the arms and legs, we have found some internal injury which we had tried to fix, he is currently still unconscious, and we do not know precisely when he would wake up, but for now, it would be best if we let him remain here to get further care." he explained and suggested.

Chiara started crying again, the doctor's statement brought no relief to them at all. That night after the first emergency surgery was conducted, he was moved to a VIP room where he could be seen alone. Gianluca had gone home first to take care of a few things, Chiara and Valentino remained at the hospital to watch over him.

Both of them did not know what to do, Valentino had to say some soothing words to calm his mother down, Chiara had calmed down a little, but she was still in a deep sorrow.

"Why does this happen to him? My son!" Chiara cried in misery. There was nothing they said or did that could soothe her.

At exactly seven P.M, the door opened revealing a now twenty six years old Valeria. Dressed in a light blue long sleeve blouse and black pencil skirt, underneath her unbuttoned khaki brown coat. She looked like she just finished work. She entered the room looking all panicked as she quickly rushed to Alessio's side.

"Alessio." she whispered his name. She still could not believe what she witnessed before her. He laid there like a dead man. She turned to look at Chiara and Valentino, tears gathered in her eyes. Chiara crossed her palm and placed it in front of her lips. She nodded and Valeria went to grab a seat beside Alessio.