3. Why Not?

Waverly sat in her Art History class trying to take notes and focus on her professor's lesson. She was usually much more focused an alert during her lectures but there were just so many things clouding her mind.
Wynonna being the chosen one, of course, was one of them. She thought about how much a disaster this could turn out to be.

The weight of the world on the shoulders of someone who doesn't take responsibility for anything, and always leaves when things get just a little bit tough. 'Great choice universe' Waverly thought.
But, then again, she pushed those negative thoughts in the back of her mind and thought, 'A lot could happen in three years. Nonna could have changed. Maybe she'll rise to the occasion.'

She looked up at the middle-aged teacher who walked back and forth at the front of the large lecture hall with a commanding presence. He continued to press a button on a remote in his hand and an image changed on the projection screen behind him.
He went on to explain the artifact shown, but the distracted student hardly heard a single word he said. Thank goodness for the class website. She'd have to go home and go over the outline of the lecture because nothing was sinking in today.

She leaned over and reached into her backpack to pull out a recorder. Old school, but at least she could so she could capture part of the lecture to take some notes later. She dug around blindly searching in her pulled for the device, pulled out a few notebooks to make it easier to find, and a paper, burgundy napkin with writing was stuck on to the cover when she lay it on the desk in front of her. She looked at the napkin remembering last night and the pretty newcomer with bright red hair who wrote the note on the napkin and also left her a crazy generous tip.
She grinned to herself by re-reading and rubbing her fingers over the writing.

The young bartender contemplated whether or not she should call her. 'What's the big deal Waverly?' she thought. She's a fellow PU student and she did need to surround herself with more like-minded people. All her friends were mostly Champs and to be honest they weren't all very bright. It was the same ole' drinking, rodeo sports, and video games. They were content with small-town life and she was growing quite tired of having no growth.

Before she knew it there was movement all around her and she noticed her classmates packing up their belongings. The class was being dismissed so Waverly quickly folded the napkin and stuffed it in her jean pocket. She gathered her things and walked to the middle aisle and upward climbing the stairs out into the hall. Waverly got to her car and climbed up into her cherry red jeep wrangler.
She sat there a while thumping her fingers on the starring wheel and humming a tune to herself battling her conflicting thoughts in her head.

"Oh, what the heck!" She said carefully pulling the napkin from her pocket and reaching into the other for her cell phone.
She said the numbers out loud as she typed them in and nerves came over her as it began to ring.

"Hello?" A voice questioned on the other end.

"Uh, hi It's Waverly. We met at Holliday's last night"

"Oh, hey Waverly." Nicole was surprised but happy to hear the young bartender's voice.

Waverly breathed and began to speak in a higher register than normal, "I was wondering if you might want to get coffee this morning. I mean, that's if you didn't already have plans?" Her eyes wandered around as she waited for a response.

"Um, nope I'm free. When and where do you want to meet?" Nicole responded.

"Well, I go and open up for the lunch crowd at Holliday's in a few, so why don't you meet me there?" Waverly felt a bit more confident since her offer wasn't rejected.

"Sure, I'll meet you there in 20." There were a few seconds of silence and Nicole filled it by speaking again. "So I'll see you soon?"

"Yeah, yes. I'll see you real soon" Waverly quickly pressed end on her phone.
"Real smooth Waves," she said aloud, scolding herself for sounding what she thought was too eager.