7. Why She Left

"Glad you made it back before first light." Nicole looked at the door while lying on the couch.

Rosita walked in with a smirk on her face and her heels in hand, "Of course I did." Rosita sat down next to Nicole as she sat up and moved her legs.

"What's with that look? Got laid, huh?"

"Sure did," Rosita confessed, and Nicole wrinkled her nose.

"Who was the unlucky girl?" Nicole asked.

Rosita looked to the sky in thought, "Um, her name was... Sarah. Or Sharon. I don't remember it started with an S, and she was very lucky. Three times lucky." Rosita held three fingers up.

"You are horrible." Nicole rolled her eyes.

"Nothing wrong with having a little adult fun. You should try it sometime. You need some loosening up." The woman with sun-kissed skin nudged her red-haired companion with her shoulder. "So, how was your night with your obnoxiously happy friend?"

"It was cool. I met a few of her friends. We had a beer and just talked."

"Oh yeah? So you're part of the happy crew now?" Rosita laughed, poking fun.

"I wouldn't say that, but I wouldn't be opposed to hanging out with them again."

"Yeah, well.."

"Be careful. I know. I am." Nicole whined while finishing Rosita's sentence for her.

"Okay, I'm only looking out for you, Ya know." Rosita stood from the couch and headed upstairs. "I need a shower and my bed. I'm exhausted."

"I bet," Nicole said as she stretched out on the couch again. She fell asleep to the sound of water, hitting the shower floor from up the stairs.

__

Wynonna was in her pickup truck sitting outside of a very familiar ranch-style home.

She tried her hardest to encourage herself to get out, walk up to that white-painted wooden door, and knock.

Her brain and nerves were telling her to start the engine and peel off.
"Maybe a little liquid courage," Wynonna said to herself.

She reached down and pulled out a shiny tin flask from underneath her seat. Wynonna unscrewed the cap and took three big gulps of the liquid content from inside the container.

"Okay, you've got this" She slipped the flask inside her leather jacket pocket.

The nervous brunette clapped her hands together once and opened her car door. She walked up to the house and up the wooden stairs.

She held up her fist and took a deep breath before knocking. Wynonna felt her heart thumping in her chest when she heard heavy steps approaching behind the door.

Finally, the white wooden door opened. "I was hoping it was you. Please do come in."
Doc said with his thumb tucked in his belt. He used his other hand to pull the door open further, and he stepped back to give Wynonna room to enter.

"Um, Hey. How have you been?" Wynonna awkwardly stood in the middle of the living room. She looked everywhere, but Doc's face.

"I've been living, surviving," Doc confessed, and that feeling of guilt that rushed through her was why she avoided the man that stood before her in the first place.

"You've been doing more than just surviving. Doc, you bought a bar. It looks like you're doing pretty well for yourself."
Doc nodded at Wynonna in agreement. He cocked his head over to the sofa in the living room.