3- Turned Upside Down

The next day, Clary and Ethan were sat side by side on the sofa by the window in the living room of their small Brooklyn flat. Whilst Clary was sketching an intricate drawing of a dark brooding prince, Ethan was sat reading a Charles Manson biography. Every so often, Ethan snuck a sideways glance at Clary's artwork, knowing that if she saw him looking, she would probably beat him with a ruler. She was very protective over her art. Ethan couldn't help but notice that the prince, sat tall atop his glorious steed, bared a slight resemblance to Alec, and he sighed softly. 

After the pair of them had left Pandemonium, Ethan couldn't stop thinking about him. In the taxi ride home, whilst their mom chewed them out for being late home and even after he had gone to bed. The thoughts were constant.  Ethan didn't know what to do. He had barely spent twenty minutes with the guy, yet he found his mind wandering to his mesmerising blue eyes every other minute of the day. He'd never felt like this before, and he was slightly scared. 

After deep contemplation on the matter, Ethan became acutely aware of Clary trying to get his attention and he turned his head in her direction with a smile plastered onto his face.

"Mom and Luke are back. I saw them taking boxes out of the car. Do you think Luke might be moving in? I hope he does." Clary said, excitedly.

Ethan laughed and held her shoulders to keep her still. She had started bouncing around.

"Easy, little Monet, you don't want to ruin your drawing." He said, "And sorry to burst your little bubble of excitement, but I don't reckon Luke will move in. He's way too happy at that dusty old bookstore"

Clary folded her arms stubbornly, shaking Ethan off "Hey, I like that bookstore. And, I suppose you're right. I just hope that we're not the ones moving"

A moment later, their mom, Jocelyn, and Luke walked through the door, arms laden with cardboard boxes.

"Hey, Mom," Ethan said, making his way over to her and taking the boxes out of her hands, "let me give you a hand with that"

He set them down on the coffee table and was met with a grateful smile from Jocelyn. "Thank you, E."

"Mom?" Clary interjected, warily, "What are the boxes for?"

Jocelyn bit her lip anxiously, and Luke seemed to be encouraging her to say something. Ethan could tell immediately that neither he nor Clary would like what would come out of her mouth next. 

"Mom, what is it?" Ethan asked, wariness creeping into his own voice, "You're scaring me"

Jocelyn sighed and rubbed a hand slowly across her face. "We're..."

Luke nudged Jocelyn yet again "Just tell them, Jocelyn"

"Tell us what?" Clary demanded, "What do you need to tell us?"

"We're... going on vacation" Jocelyn eventually spit out.

"Great! You're going on vacation. But what's the problem?" Clary asked.

Ethan looked at his sister and said "I think they mean that we're all going on vacation," then his focus shifted to Jocelyn, "but I still don't get the problem"

Then it clicked.

"For how long?" he asked.

Jocelyn looked even guiltier now. "For the rest of the summer"

'Here we go.' Ethan thought.

"FOR THE REST OF THE SUMMER?" Clary exploded, "Mom, what about my plans with Simon? My art group? My ten more  classes at Tisch ?"