4- Just us

Ethan stared at his mom in shock. "Why have you never told us?? Are we in danger??"

Another crash sounded, this time from somewhere within the flat. Jocelyn grasped Ethan's face between her hands. Ethan immediately knew the answer to his question. 

"Listen to me, Ethan," Jocelyn said urgently, "I'm so sorry that I didn't tell you about what you were, but I need you to leave now. Leave, go find your sister, and stay away for the time being. You're old enough to protect her"

Ethan shook his head fervently. "No, Mom," he said, his voice breaking slightly, "not without you"

Jocelyn opened her mouth to speak, when the creature came into the living room. It was a demon, a long creature with dark black eyes and a long thick tail. Ethan fought the urge to scream and pushed his mom to the side as the creature advanced, menacingly. Jocelyn hit the ground, hard.

"Ethan!" Jocelyn yelled, "Get out!"

"No!" Ethan yelled back, as the creature slowly moved forward, taunting them, "I won't leave you when you're in danger, I can't."

A moment later, the creature pounced at Ethan, who lifted an arm to protect himself. The demon sunk its teeth into it and Ethan howled in pain. He shook his arm wildly until the demon let go. Whilst he had been taking care of the demon, Jocelyn was on the phone to Clary, who was on her way to the flat.

"No!" Jocelyn exclaimed, then passed the phone to Ethan, "tell your sister not to come home. I'll handle the demon" 

Ethan nodded and took the phone. "Clary? You there?"

"Ethan, what the hell is going on? I said I was on my way back and Mom screamed 'no' at me"

Ethan spoke rapidly. "Clary, listen to me. Mom is right, you absolutely cannot come home now. Its not safe. Look, go to Simon's, and I'll meet you when this is all over"

Clary sucked in a large breath. "E, what's happening? Are you in danger?"

"I think we all are" Ethan replied.

"Well then I'll come home and we can sort it out together! I can't leave you!"

"Clary you have to!" Ethan said urgently, "Me and Mom can handle ourselves, but you need to stay away!"

Just then there was a large crash, a scream and then a thud. Jocelyn had been attacked by the demon, and was now lying in a heap at the bottom of the wall, whilst the demon scurried off. Ethan ran over to her. She gestured to the phone, which Ethan tentatively handed to her.

"I love you Clary," Jocelyn said, in an eerily calm way, " and I love you, Ethan.

And with that, she lost consciousness. Ethan heard Clary screaming through the phone.

"-om? MOM! "

A creaking of the floorboards alerted Ethan to the return of the demon, but it was too late. As he swung his body round, the demon pounced, knocking him into the wall. Head reeling, he gripped onto his last thread of consciousness long enough to say one last thing to Clary.

"I love you Clare-bear," he said, and he was acutely aware of how far away his voice sounded, "stay safe"

And with that, he lost consciousness as well.

* time skip brought to you by Magnus' fabulous cat eyes*

"Oh my god, Ethan! Jace, we need to help him! Is he okay?"

"I don't know, does he usually lie on the floor like that without moving?"

Ethan groaned. He could just make out Jace and Clary's voices. He tried to open his eyes but couldn't manage it. 

"Jace, he's really hurt. What do we do?" Clary's frantic voice rang out in the empty flat. 

Jace sighed and Ethan felt his body leave the floor. A stab of pain ran through his body and he cried out. 

Jace sighed again "There's demon poison running through his body. That Ravener demon must have bitten him somewhere. We're gonna have to take him to the Institute. You need to come as well"

Ethan felt himself losing consciousness again, and everything went black.

He woke up three days later in the Infirmary of the Institute, with something tickling his face. As he opened his eyes, he saw ginger curls wafting in his face.

"Clare, get those curls away from my mouth," Ethan groaned, "they don't taste nice"

Clary sat up in shock, smiled widely, and hugged her brother even tighter.

"You're alive! I have never been so scared in my life!"

Ethan hugged her back, smiling "Aw, I'm glad you still care, C."

There was a knock at the Infirmary door, and Ethan was met with the same gorgeous blue eyes he had dreamed about.

"Glad you're awake"

Ethan nodded him, butterflies dancing in his stomach. "Alec"