30- Revelations

When Alec regained consciousness, Maryse and Robert had left. He sat up and looked around at the faces of the people in front of him. Alec caught Ethan's eye, and he smiled at him. But his smile dimmed when Ethan gave a strained one in response, before looking away. Alec was confused: what had happened, and why was Ethan acting like this?

"So," he said, slowly, "I'm guessing the rune worked?"

Jace chuckled lightly. "Possibly. That depends... who is it that you're in love with, Alec?"

Alec's face sunk in horror. What the hell had he said?

"I... um... I don't see how that's relevant" he stuttered, suddenly uncomfortable.

Jace smirked in Izzy's direction, who smirked back.

"Well, that settles it... it worked..." Izzy smiled.

Ethan shuffled his feet side to side, drawing the attention of Alec even more. He had never seen Ethan this uncomfortable before, which led him to question (again): what the hell did that rune make him do?

"So, what was the rune then?" he asked, apprehensively.

Ethan finally spoke up, meeting Alec's eyes again. "It was a Fearless rune. It meant that you were no longer afraid to tell your parents what you thought and felt"

Alec gaped in horror. "So... my parents..."

He cleared his throat and tried again. "What did I say to them?"

"Well, Clary filmed it if that helps. Do you wanna watch it back?" Jace asked, laying a hand on his parabatai's back.

Alec nodded, then shook his head. Finally, he nodded again.

"Yeah, I think I should. I need to know... you know, for damage control" he sighed, and Izzy nodded in understanding.

Clary handed Alec her phone, with the video already loaded up on the screen. Alec pressed play, holding his breath in anticipation.

*********************

Ethan: "Do you feel any different, Al?" 

Alec  shook his head. The door to Magnus' house opened. Maryse, Robert and Izzy walked in.

Maryse: "Jace, you are meant to be under arrest. What were you doing at the Seelie court?!" 

Ethan stepped forward

Ethan:  "That's enough. Why are you being so rude? You raised Jace, speak to him with some respect at least"

Alec: "Mother, there is something important I need to tell you" he said, his voice booming.

Maryse: "Go ahead, Alec. Shine some angelic light on this situation"

Alec: "I get to choose my own path from now. I will not be your puppet any longer. I have fallen in love. This guy has been my rock for the past couple of months. I couldn't imagine life without him. And I don't care what you think about him, I'm doing this for my own happiness and-"

 Magnus shot Alec with a blue blast of warlock energy, knocking him unconscious.

Ethan: "Well, at least we know it works..."

*end of video*

*********************

Alec locked Clary's phone and handed it back to her, hands shaking. 

"Wow... I really stood up to Mom and Dad like that?" Alec asked Izzy, who was smiling widely with pride. 

"You did, big brother. And I couldn't be prouder" she replied, smiling even wider (if that was even possible).

Alec didn't look proud of himself, he looked more ashamed than he had ever looked in his life.  He knew he needed to put right what he had ruined with that rune.

"I need to go and speak to them. Explain myself" Alec stated.

Jace narrowed his eyes. "I think you explained yourself pretty well with that rune"

"I need to go" Alec repeated before heading towards the door.

Before he could leave, Ethan caught his arm, making Alec's stomach flip.

"Hey," he said, "Don't change yourself or your opinion for them. Just explain what you meant. Don't change it or make excuses"

Alec smiled briefly at Ethan before leaving. After Alec had gone, Ethan turned to Magnus. 

"Hey, Mags, can I stay here tonight? I wanna spend some more time with Jace. Plus, I don't think I can go back to the Institute whilst this is going on" he asked, sitting on the sofa and wrapping an arm around Jace's shoulder. 

"Sure, sunshine, I'm just going to be healing Maia," Magnus smiled, gesturing to the unconscious wolf on the table, " in here so you will have to share with Jace. That okay?"

Jace and Ethan grinned at each other.

"That's more than okay" they said simultaneously, making Magnus shudder.

"Acting like children at a sleepover... and I thought it was only twins who could do that..." he muttered before they left to go upstairs.

As Jace and Ethan entered the room, Ethan lay on Jace's bed and leant on his elbows, gesturing him to sit on the end of the bed. 

"So... spill." Ethan demanded, then when Jace narrowed his eyes in confusion, "we haven't talked about the whole Seelie Queen situation yet"

Jace folded his arms stubbornly. "That's because I don't want to talk about it. It's embarrassing"

Ethan sat up. "Jace, I'm your brother. I just want to understand. If you can't talk to me about the big stuff... then how can you talk to anyone about it?"

Jace sighed. "I guess you're right. I don't actually know where it started. I mean, I kissed her before we were told about us being siblings... and... even after, I still didn't stop feeling like that. I hate myself for it, I know its wrong, but I don't know how to make them go away"

Ethan nodded. "If its any consolation, Clary's going through the same thing. It might be because you had a romantic connection before you knew you were siblings. Its probably just taking a little longer to go away than you thought. Just, whatever you do, don't act on your feelings. It will be harder for you both"

Jace smiled at Ethan in gratitude. "Thanks, E. I feel a lot better now. I guess I just needed some advice."

Ethan grinned back. "What are brothers for? Anything else you wanna get off your chest?"

Jace's face turned solemn again. "Actually... there is... do you know why Jocelyn didn't want me?"

Ethan was taken aback for a moment. 

"What?" he gasped.

"Why didn't Jocelyn want me? " Jace repeated, "That's the only explanation I have for why she didn't keep me"

Ethan was shocked that that was what Jace thought. "Jace, she thought you were dead!"

"She  what?! " Jace croaked out. 

"For real, Jace. I promise I'm not playing. She had a box of your stuff as a baby. She took it out every day on your birthday: January 18th, right?" Ethan spoke softly.

Jace looked down at the bed. "I never told you my birthday...  it must be true, but it sounds so unbelieveable..."

"If you can't believe me, I'll go back to the flat and try to find the box" 

Jace shook his head "There's no need for that, E. I just need time to process this. Can you give me that?" 

Ethan smiled again. "Of course I can. You did the same for me when I became a Shadowhunter"

Jace caught Ethan's eye again and grinned at his brother, before throwing a pillow in his face.

"Ohh, you're so dead, Jace Wayland!" Ethan laughed, before chucking one back at him. 

It turned into a full blown pillow fight. Magnus entered the room, saw what was going on, and made to leave again.

"I didn't realise I had opened my house to such children..." he muttered on his way out, making Jace and Ethan laugh.